In case any US citizen wants to be fingerprinted in Bulgaria to initiate the FBI Criminal Records report without going back to the US, here is what to do:
1. Learn Bulgarian language
2. The US Embassy said local police departments will take fingerprints. The Burgas Police Dept refused to take fingerprints unless it was book you into jail. Sorry, no thanks.
3. Next, the Research Institute of Forensic Science and Criminology (RIFSC) will take your fingerprints. The office in the Center at the Ministry of Interior, 29 6th of September, does not do the fingerprinting.
4. Go to the website http://www.nikk.mvr.bg/
Under Activities link on the left, find instructions to wire the 14.40 lv fingerprinting fee to the Ministry of Interior account in advance, BRING a RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF PAYMENT.
4. Take a cab/drive to the The American College of Sophia, approximately 8 km SE from the Center. Or take the Metro and exit the last stop, Business Park. The American College is about 300m to the NW, Use Google maps or GPS or ask people how to get there. The RIFSC building is a 5 story building located at the rear of the American College campus, Ask directions if necessary,
5. Several people speak English and will facilitate getting the fingerprints.
6. The FBI does not require the fingerprints to be apostilled or certified, just legible. The RIFSC tried to certify the fingerprints at the National Police HQ, which I declined.
7. Learn Bulgarian language