Comparing cost of Living Options to DR

Portugal (and Spain) are better and cheaper options then the DR in most aspects. The main reason I spend time in the DR is that my wife is dominican and she has her family and houses in the DR.

It is good if you can compare both and then decide what is best for you.

@frankrancourt2

Hello I completely understand. Florida and the country has gone parabolic in prices. I am 52  and wife is 53. I been living in Miami since 1987 and it has gotten out of control. We Also travel around the world, is my favorite thing to do, I saw a comment from someone about Spain and you mentioned Portugal. We love the Andalusia area and Europe in general. Portugal has gotten expensive, no what it used to be 20 years ago, especially with many people taking advantage of their investor visa etc. You mentioned you like scuba and golfing, the caribbean and the DR have amazing beaches all year around, great golf courses and deep sea fishing. We love the Mediterranean beaches but the water temperature is not the same, at least for us. If you want to talk and get a better sense and lay of the land contact me at my handle @ popular email address that everyone uses to find information.  I am Not sure I can leave or want to leave my phone in the forum. If we can communicate directly better and faster. I always say this to my wife if I can help or guide someone why not, I would like the same coming from people. You can take the information you learn and make your own assessment. Best regards

@Papito NL what factual data are you using or have seen that supports tour comment about Spain and Portigal being cheaper than DR in most aspects?

have you considered the Euro exchange rates?

@Papito NL what factual data are you using or have seen that supports tour comment about Spain and Portigal being cheaper than DR in most aspects?
have you considered the Euro exchange rates?

-@ondami

(I hope this isn't going too off-topic)

I am from the Netherlands (EU) so that is my reference point. With all costs of living, housing, car etc Spain has always been and still is cheaper then  the Netherlands. All in all the DR used to be cheaper many years ago but nowadays many prices are already exceeding those in the EU. Especially food, cars, building materials, imported goods.

We have a family house in southern Spain, part is registered in my name and it has been the snowbird place for my parents. As a EU resident I only had to get Spanish residency (NIE number) once and thats it. Clearly US citizens would need more permits but I doubt that is harder then the DR.

The DR just isn't the only cheap alternative anymore so other locations come into play for those looking to relocate.

@Papito NL thank you for some additional context.  Although some prices may be cheaper in southern Spain for you, US ex-pats will have to lay $1 for every 0.92 Euro (as of yesterday).  Thus more dollars to pay for products, so the cost ”savings” may be a wash.

One (1) US dollar will fetch between $52-56 DRP; thus, one could realize cost savings in DR when paying in DRP.

@ondami

Not when prices in the DR are rising more then elsewhere. Despite a higher exchange rate you can buy less. Same for me.

The inflation rate in Spain in 2023 was 3.49%. Then installation rate in Portugal was 5%. The inflation rate in Dominican Republic in 2023 was 4.91%.

Therefore, prices seem to be increasing pretty similarly in all three of those countries.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Dominican Republic forum so that you may better discuss this topic.

All the best

Bhavna