Public transportation in Karachi

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Karachi ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Karachi?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Public transport includes bus,taxis and auto rickshaws..
the cheapest way to travel around the city is by bus.on average bus fare is about 15-20pk rupi.but for foreigners its not a good option as they are over crowded..
i guess auto rickshaw and taxis are good for expats but still u need to know some urdu.and need to be careful as they always try to increase the fare whenever they see a foreigner..the max fare for the longest distance within the city does not exceed 150rs and the nearest route it will be around 40rs in rickshaw and for taxi mean fare is 60rs approx
traveling by rickshaw and taxi is safe in day time but u need to be careful and its better to know the way..
bt for someone who doesnt know urdu i suggest to take help of some local friend when moving around the city...
i'v been living in karachi for the last 5years so i'm very familiar with the city.feel free to ask anything....

Hi dr.jhasan!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

you are welcome armand:)

Armand wrote:

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Karachi ?

karachi has a good network of transportation you can go anywhere using public transport.

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?

Relatively compared to the rest of pakistan, its well developed. but if u talk about the international cities like singapore, kuala lampur or dubai...... its far below the standard of these cities.

What modes of transport are available?

Buses, mini buses, cabs, rikshaw

Do you use them?

while i was in pakistan i used them :)

How much is a fare?
fare depends upon the destination, cabs & rikshaws cost less than 5 US$ for 10KM. while buses cost like 30 US Cents for 10 to 20KM.

Are they relatively safe?
buses & cabs r safe but rikshaws are risky as they have 3 wheels.

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Karachi?
buses, especially W-11. once u r in karachi u must use this once. i call it the disco / Rave Bus as all the time there is loud music playing inside :)

Thanks in advance for participating!

my pleasure

Thanks for your contribution kingali2308!;)

Harmonie.:)

I think in Karachi having your own conveyance is best. However bus is the cheapest form for transport but not very safe options. Other means of transports are Taxi, Rickshaw and point couches but they are relatively expense as compared to local buses

:top:

I've a different view about the transport system in Karachi!
Bus system is not very expensive but the quality is worst and it doesn't covers all routes in Karachi!

Taxi and Rickshaw are hell expensive (considering the average income there) and isn't comfortable enough to enjoy the trip!

I always prefer a metro cab or equivalent from the Karachi Airport and so on! that's the best service I believe! :)