Public transportation in Beijing

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Beijing ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Beijing?

Thanks in advance for participating!

the transportation is peking is somehow convinient .i think it's more civilized and developped than some other countries. the modes of transporatation are extensive, including public buses ,metros, taxis(private and public),certainly they are quite safe. metro is the preferred choice.

Hi sylvie_peking,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for your contribution.

Hi,

There are plenty of taxis available & very cheap - not so great on a wet day though, so metro would be the next option. The metro seems quite efficient & somewhat clean, although the crowds can be quite a put off, hence why I cab it to most places & the fare starts at 10 yuan. I have not experienced the bus & most likely never will, but hey if you're a fitness fanatic then a pedal bike is another option to get around :) I will say that everything is pretty safe!

Thanks for this tips R-Mac!

Harmonie.:)

What do you think about the means of transportation in Beijing ?
Is the network of means of transportation well developed?

- not too bad, considering there is the MRT/ subway, alternative to cabs and public buses

What modes of transport are available?
public buses, cab, and MRT/MTR/subway/Metros, trains

Do you use them?
MRT and cabs usually. public bus once.

How much is a fare?
MRT fare 2 yuan per trip
Cab starts from 10 yuan. Past midnight starts from 11 yuan.
For fare beyond 10 yuan, there is a somewhat tax of 2 yuan. So for e.g. if the meter shows 15 yuan, they would tell you 17 yuan for the cab fare (no, they are not trying to con you 2 yuan)

Are they relatively safe?
So far so good, haven't tried travelling alone at night.

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Beijing?
Cab eventually.  MRT is extremely packed! But is cost saving for long distance though.

Welcome to Expat.com emilyl and thank you for this info. :)