Taxi misunderstandings in China?

Hello everyone,

I would like to go Beijing and Shanghai for my upcoming holidays and there I have a very specific question regarding communication especially in transport. One my friend told me that he had quite a hard time when he was in Beijing to communicate with taxi drivers. 

My friend introduced me two websites: Guanxi and Geogini which provide you location information in Chinese and English via SMS/internet or something like that …

Anyone has ever tried those services?  Do they work on foreigners mobile? I went on their websites but it's not very clear and I would prefer some feedback to know if it's really useful or just a crappy mobile/internet tool.

I know it's somehow a small detail and perhaps I shouldn't bother with that but I had my amount of troublesome taxi misunderstandings when I was in Vietnam

Thank You for your answer

Cheers,

Emilie

i know they sell books in the jenny lou stores here that have directions for taxi drivers to some popular spots.

Hi!
At any Starbucks in Beijing, you can get a little Beijing map which has all the locations for Starbucks in the city...it also include useful phrases and transportation words/places for taxi drivers and subway map too. Its great and free! I have found most drivers to be honest and friendly, if you are friendly to them. :)