What's going on in Thailand? expat point of view

Hi everybody,

I've found an interresting article on channel4.com http://www.channel4.com/news/blogs/19_t … _blog.html
(They're quoting several Expat.com members)

Can somebody help us to understand? Is this coup a "good" thing or not?

What's sure is that the use of the military force is not a good thing for democraty ...

The coup will be a good thing in the long run. Thaksin was VERY corrupt but then again so are most of the politicians, officials and army anyway. The big worry is not the coup but the goings on over the last few months. Thailand is becoming very expat unfriendly in quite a few ways. They have tightened up the visa rules and are enforcing the foreign ownership rules for landed property.

So I made Malaysia my choice. After 25 years in Asia Malaysia has proved itself to be the most stable in my humble opinion. I have beachfront freehold land available in Malaysia that expats can buy. To my knowledge the only beachfront bungalow land available to foreigners in Asia.

Cheers
patch

Incertain... that is how the future looks like in Thailand, no violence in Bangkok but yesterday bombs in the north... no one knows nothing and as the censorship is here we are not alowed to speak ... but we can still think.

True for the visas and the corruption, wait and see to know what will happen

Here are some updates about the political situation in Thailand :

This October 2006 was rich in current events of Thailand.
The South is always agitated by many fatal violences, particularly during this time of Ramadan. In Bangkok this year, in certain districts, it was possible to hear the Muezzin called with the Arabic prayer, which is new.

The continuous saga Taksin... He plays better and better the golf and his wife was not satisfied with London shopping, she returned to Bangkok. Her security service fights with the airport authorities, then she threatened everyone of the return of her man, the great class!

A taxi has hurted in a tank to protest against the use of the force by the soldiers to change the governement. The anti military groups tried to use the driver to denounce the coup while promising to pay him all its expenses. But he sent them to hell...

There is a new legislative assembly - not elected NLA- what limits its representativeness nevertheless.
The Surayud Prime Minister went to meet the of his former communist buddies in Thailand but also in Laos and to elsewhere try to have a popular legitimacy.
I pass to you the renamings of the committee of soldiers having directed the putsch...
Moreover in the soldiers there is trouble, those having obtained important positions in the new ministries are not those which took the risks while taking part in the putsch...

To laugh, 3 Danish explode their head when they returned from a party with thirty helium balloons which exploded in contact with the lights of their hotel room.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/MyBangkok.gif

i keep up to date with local issues in and around issan north east thailand udon thani where pad is very strong on the ground
udon thani website pad hq in issan

Normal service has been resumed, we are just missing a few tourists!
Well actually I am not missing them but I know the Thai economy is.
Life goes on as it always does, you'll find the usual welcome and some great bargains as well.

thetefldon wrote:

Normal service has been resumed, we are just missing a few tourists!
Well actually I am not missing them but I know the Thai economy is.
Life goes on as it always does, you'll find the usual welcome and some great bargains as well.

Mike pretty much sums it up there, although there is still an undercurrent of tension especially in the north. Many people here are very unhappy with events, and openly talking about civil unrest in certain circumstances.

However we're a long way from that right now, and I have always felt perfectly safe here. Can't see that changing - this is a purely Thai conflict.

I'm glad I found this site, so I can keep up with what's going on in Thailand .
Thanks you guys :D

A welcome change from the Thai forums where one day after replying to a topic, you're buried on the 10th page at best.
Here one year later, you're still on first page :cool:

Don't get discourage (yet) :)

good question , needs to be updated as Thailand is under severe stress, looks more like a civil war.  The land of smiles is not smiling.  Why can't people just get along instead of trying to push each other around all the time.  It's a big universe, there's plenty of room for everyone.