House for Rent or Sale

I found a house I'd like to rent. The house is also for sale. The owner wants me to sign a six month lease. Should I ask for a longer lease, say 12 months? Do I have first right of refusal as a renter if the owner finds a buyer? Are there leases with an option to buy in Brazil?

Thanks for any advice.

Alan

In my opinion. always ask for 12 months, (it is actually not too difficult to get out of the contract earlier than this), and there is a law in Brazil that states the tenant must always be asked if he wants to buy the property before it goes to market... The tenant always has first option, and it is possible to buy with owner finance - depending on the seller, of course.

My suggestion futher to what the others are saying is if you're  going to buy it after then make sure it has full documentation before you rent.  I have way too many horror stories if it doesn't  have it.

@Cserebogar

I agree - but you are going to need help with that as it is impossible to understand, let alone to do, what is needed,  as a newbie...

I found a house I'd like to rent. The house is also for sale. The owner wants me to sign a six month lease. Should I ask for a longer lease, say 12 months? Do I have first right of refusal as a renter if the owner finds a buyer? Are there leases with an option to buy in Brazil?
Thanks for any advice.

Alan

-@alan279

Should I ask for a longer lease, say 12 months?

You can only find out if you ask for it.  Give it a try.  A six month lease is rate, it tells me,the proprietor would rather sell.

Do I have first right of refusal as a renter if the owner finds a buyer?

Yes you do. It's the law. 30 days to declare.

Are there leases with an option to buy in Brazil?

You do not need to worry, it is the law. However, get the contract specify you will be given the first right of refusal.