Digital nomad visa when you're already in Brazil

Is it possible to get a digital nomad visa when you're already in Brazil or do you need to go back home and deal with the consulate there?

Or can you go to any country as long as they have a Brazilian consulate?

10/22/23    Is it possible to get a digital nomad visa when you're already in Brazil or do you need to go back home and deal with the consulate there?
Or can you go to any country as long as they have a Brazilian consulate?

-@Grongie

If you're already in Brazil, you can request an Authorization for Residency as a Digital Nomad from the Federal Police.  You'll need the required documents and, since you're not dealing with a Brazilian Consulate in your own country, they'll need to have apostilles and Sworn Translations.

You can also apply at a Brazilian Consulate in a third country.  In that situation you will probably need apostilles, and may need Sworn Translations.  You should confirm the specific requirements with the Consular staff at that location.

@Grongie It appears the most challenging may be showing a work contract with an employer and the financial ability to stay in Brazil.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@abthree If you apply from within Brazil, what happens if you're nearing the end of your visitor visa? Will they be understanding of the pending digital nomad application and let you stay until you get an outcome, or will you have to leave?

11/12/23    @abthree If you apply from within Brazil, what happens if you're nearing the end of your visitor visa? Will they be understanding of the pending digital nomad application and let you stay until you get an outcome, or will you have to leave?

-@digitalnomad2023

If your document submission is complete, all documents up-to-date, with apostilles and Sworn Translations of all foreign documents and your application is accepted for processing, you should be allowed to stay without a fine until analysis is complete and you have an answer.  If your application is rejected you may be given time to fix it if that's possible.  If not, you'll probably have to leave.

@abthree That makes sense, thank you! And thanks so much for the quick reply! Your posts here are very helpful. :)

I was wondering about two other things, if you don't mind.

• A lot of sites say different things about which documents need apostille and which need translation (and sworn translation). Would you mindly clarifying this for me? Is it just the birth certificate and criminal record check that need apostille and sworn translation, and the rest no apostille and normal translation?
  • I saw in the official list of requirements a police background check, but then also something separate about a "Statement of no criminal record in any country for the previous five years". What is that statement? I'm not sure if South Africa or Canada (the countries I've lived in) have such a thing... just police clearance certificates. Unless I'm confused, haha.

11/12/23 @digitalnomad2023.  Any document issued by a governmental agency should have an apostille and a Sworn Translation. 

Any document written in a language other than Portuguese should have a Sworn Translation, even if unofficial.  If the document consists mostly of numbers, e.g., a bank statement, the PF may let that pass, but they are entitled (and technically required) to demand a Sworn Translation if they want one.

You don't need a Statement of No Criminal Record if you have police clearance certificates.  That's mainly for people, like refugees, who can't get valid police certs from their countries of origins.

@abthree Amazing, thank you! That makes way more sense.

I'm currently waiting for my apostilles. Is there a recency of issuance that Brazil wants for the birth certificate and background checks? Like can they expire for this nomad visa?

11/13/23 @abthree Amazing, thank you! That makes way more sense.
I'm currently waiting for my apostilles. Is there a recency of issuance that Brazil wants for the birth certificate and background checks? Like can they expire for this nomad visa?   

-@digitalnomad2023

The rule of thumb is generally 90 days, but the PF will sometimes be flexible, particularly if a document was new when the applicant first arrived in Brazil and s/he has been in Brazil continuously since then.

@abthree Oh wow, okay. I'm just trying to decide how to time this, if that makes sense. Like so as to avoid overstaying a tourist visa, or having expired docs. I don't know which is worse. Getting apostilled documents from South Africa can take as long as 84 days, and that's not even including courier services.

So, even if I order them right now, by the time I apply for DN visa, they will be outside that 90 day window. Do you think that'll be an issue? Or should I just get them ASAP and apply with what I have as soon as I arrive in Brazil?

I want to do this properly, but timing it is hard. :)

@abthree So, even if I order them right now, by the time I apply for DN visa, they will be outside that 90 day window. Do you think that'll be an issue? Or should I just get them ASAP and apply with what I have as soon as I arrive in Brazil?

I want to do this properly, but timing it is hard. smile.png-@digitalnomad2023

If you're still in South Africa, then you should definitely wait to come to Brazil until you have your documents.  In fact, you should apply for and receive the visa at a Brazilian Consulate in South Africa:  that way, you won't need apostilles or Sworn Translations.  You'll arrive with the visa already in your passport and just have to register with the Federal Police when you arrive.  Have your documents with you in case they want to see any, but you won't have to go through the whole process over again.

If you want to roll the dice, you can come to Brazil and hope that the documents catch up with you before your visitor visa expires (90 days, plus a maximum of one 90 day extension) .  If the documents are a week or two past 90 days, there's a good chance they'll be accepted, as long as you haven't overstayed your visa  on the day you apply.  The PF will not accept an application from someone on overstay status.

@abthree I actually live in Canada now, as I have permanent residency there. Do you know if, as a South African, the Brazilian Consulates in Canada would require apostille from SA, since they are SA documents? Or would it also just be easier for me to apply from there?

11/13/23  @abthree I actually live in Canada now, as I have permanent residency there. Do you know if, as a South African, the Brazilian Consulates in Canada would require apostille from SA, since they are SA documents? Or would it also just be easier for me to apply from there?

-@digitalnomad2023

Brazilian Consulates in Canada would probably require apostilles on South African documents;  you should confirm with the Consulate.   They will not require Sworn Translations, however, because they accept documents in English.

@abthree Thank you. This info really is helpful for my planning.

If I come check out Brazil for 6 months, and visit a friend, (doing the visitor visa extension)... can I then go back to Canada and apply for the DN visa?

Would I be allowed back in even though I visited Brazil for 6 months recently? DN is a different kind of visa, so it should be okay, right?

11/13/23   @abthree Would I be allowed back in even though I visited Brazil for 6 months recently? DN is a different kind of visa, so it should be okay, right?

-@digitalnomad2023

Yes.  Each visa has its own rules and terms of residency.

@abthree Thanks! And I'm correct in saying the 1 year validity starts from the day of arriving in Brazil, not the day of visa issue from the Consulate, right?

@digitalnomad2023 My residency beginning date under a digital nomad visa was the date I arrived in Brazil, not the date the consulate issued the visa

11/14/23   @abthree Thanks! And I'm correct in saying the 1 year validity starts from the day of arriving in Brazil, not the day of visa issue from the Consulate, right?

-@digitalnomad2023

See @sfcastro's response, above, which seems to speak to your situation.

11/14/23   @abthree Thanks! And I'm correct in saying the 1 year validity starts from the day of arriving in Brazil, not the day of visa issue from the Consulate, right?        -@digitalnomad2023

See @sfcastro's response, above, which seems to speak to your situation.

-@abthree

Thank you both!

To confirm @abthree wouldthe Consulate in Canada also require that 3 month recency for the police clearance? And the birth certificate issuance as well, within the past 3 months?

11/14/23 To confirm @abthree wouldthe Consulate in Canada also require that 3 month recency for the police clearance? And the birth certificate issuance as well, within the past 3 months?   

-@digitalnomad2023

That depends on the Consulate.  Check the Visa page of the site of the Consulate responsible for your Province (https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaixada- … risdiction) for the requirements for VITEM XIV -- Digital Nomad,

@abthree Thank you! None of those pages appear to be loading, unfortunately. I've emailed Vancouver to see if they'll reply with some info.