Exploring posibilities

Hello!

I am a 63 year old single old male, who currently resides outside of Charlotte NC in the US. I made my mind up to leave the US earlier this year for many reasons, not the least of which is costs (Property Tax, Medical, Insurance, etc). I started looking in SE Asia, I am now open to all Areas of the world. Columbia attracted me due to climate, costs of living, medical care, and location. I plan to leave when I can, I would go now but Iam taking care of an Elderly mother.

I have already renewed my passport, and started to plan.

I was also looking at starting in Ecuador maybe, since it is on the U.S. dollar, then look into going to Columbia from there, still open on this thought. I know Cuenca is a nice spot but it will be to cold for me. Seems there are some Visa issues in Columbia currently.

I think I am going to want to be in an Urban area, at least to begin with, as I will not have personal transportation, and will rely on Public Trans that is available and walking. Medillin looked doable but is a bit cooler and more costly than Bucaramanga it seems, so I am looking at that location maybe. Bucaramanga I hope is safe, though it seems a bit close to Venezuela.

I am open to splitting time with another country or 3 if needed to avoid what seems to be a newish taxation situation in Columbia. I will have SS income, Pension, and Investments. Starting off I want to base living costs on about 50% of what i will have available monthly, which, based on my research should allow me to live well (1500/2000 US is 50% range).

Looks like Internet is very good in most places, and this will be a must as I will be trading some online.

I have also looked at Pereira, and Manizales area, but they may be a bit cool for me, not sure. All of my looking has been online.

Looking forward to meeting and communicating with others here.

Send me an email and I will give you an offer for Medellin......I believe you will like ............ laterfriend at Gm......

I recommend traveling around on your first visit (you can stay up to six months on a tourist visa) before making a decision. Visit several places--both urban and rural-- and take your time exploring them. Likewise, you may want to visit places such as Ecuador and Panama in order to compare them to Colombia (note that there is no "u" in Colombia).

You mentioned a concern that some places may be too cool for you. In Colombia the problem is not so much the cold but the heat! Coastal cities and places like Cali can be very hot, and with no seasons, you can expect high temperatures most of the year. Many cities are located at higher altitudes, where houses have no need for either heat or air conditioning. Some places can be cool in the evening or at certain times of the year, but it is nothing like the cold experienced in the northern US.

Both Ecuador and Panama use the US dollar, but I wouldn't let this be a big factor in your final decision. The Colombian peso has lost a lot of value against the dollar in the last couple of years, making already affordable things (rent, food, entertainment, etc.) even more so for someone who has converted their USD into pesos.

Good luck and welcome to Colombia.

Read Mr. Jones post...twice.  It's good recommendations...

@Mr. Jones 1994

Ty for the reply. Yes, I mistakenly put the U in there sometimes, I think this is because of Columbia Sportswear here which I have some items from.

I think that is what I am going to do, maybe rent around a bit and see whats what. I understand the Elevation thing as it relates to temperatures. I like Warm/Hot days, but at night I like it cool, but not in the 40's, Maybe 55-85 F is a good range for me. I am flexible on temps some.

@laterfriend TY, not ready to do it yet.