Geelong knowledge?......

Hello everyong

After a long 2 1/2 year process myself and my partner are moving to Australia in October this year, we have state sponsorship to Victoria, have been thinking about Geelong, anyone know much about the area??

Thanks in advance for any help, there is soooo much information to take in it all gets very confusing!!

Thanks guys.

Hello soph84 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Or if anyone can shed any info about St Kilda as that is our second option!

Thanks

Hello Soph,
Geelong is a city of about 200,000. Best points are its proximity to beaches, lifestyle is more easy going than in Melbourne. You mention St Kilda -you would pay double for accomm compared with Geelong. Many people (about 14,000)travel to Melb.to work every day -train system is the best and cheapest we way. If you decide on Melbourne, make sure you live close to the city as the travel will destroy you.
By the way don't expect it to always be warm (last night was 0 degrees and there have been many such nights.
What type of work would you be looking for? That would probably determine where you might want to live.
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum please]

Hello Viewsend,
Thanks for your reply, very informative!  I had noticed that looking at some property options in St Kilda we were looking at more money for rentals.  I think Geelong, the slightly more relaxed way of life appeals to me.  Wow, 0 degrees, that is chilly!  Hope it doesnt stay like that for too long!
Yes, I think your right work will determine, we are applying for jobs currently so we will have to wait and see what happens there, my partner is a motor technician so looking for jobs in that sector.
Its all very difficult to plan moving to the other side of the world but its very exciting!
Thanks again for your help!

We live about 15 miles out of Geelong but have always had lots to do with it. Your husband certainly wouldn't have any trouble finding a job.
Having spent a few days in London last November, London traffic is a breeze compared with Melbourne.
Don't forget any questions are welcome, no matter how trivial they may seem to you.
Cheers,
Lindsay

Well thats reassuring to hear about your thoughts on him finding work, fingers crossed!
Looking forward to the lack of traffic aswell, London is a nightmare the roads are always so busy!
Im sure I will have other questions so might well have to take you up on the offer to send them your way!
Thanks again!
Soph