NIE Number In Spain

Hello.  Has anyone applied for an NIE number with a North American passport and then later become resident to Spain with a EU passport?  I have dual citizenship with Canada and Malta.  When we purchased property, I had used my Canadian passport  for the application of the NIE and the home purchase.  Later I had applied for my Malta passport and now we are planning to take up residency in Spain.  I am wondering if there will be any issues (ie. tax issues or other) to use the EU passport when taking up residency since the NIE used the Canadian passport.  Or perhaps I just show both when going through the residency process to prove that I am the same person?  Is there any advice anyone can offer if they have gone through a similar process?

Thanks,

Tony

I think that the NIE stays with you all the time. I don't think they issue a second. It's like a national insurance number.

Hi Compel.  Yes, you are correct, the NIE stays with you all the time.  A new one would not be issued.  I was asking more about if there would be any issue when applying for residency using my EU passport considering that the NIE was received some time ago using my Canadian passport.

That is the first question I have read with these points. A Tricky situation

It looks like you need some legal advice. There are emigration advisors. Who would be able to help.  A web search will through up some businesses. Advise and help will  no doubt cost some €.

Good luck.

@anthonymuscat65

You got your NIE while you only had one citizenship. Now you have two. It should be no issue at all! But when applying for residence you should show them that you already have a NIE (by including it on your application form EX-18).

As you have a shiny new EU passport, officially you apply for "EU Citizen Registration" only (= "Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la Unión Europea"). It's a formality, requiring only proof of address, proof of health insurance, and proof of funds.

https://inclusion.seg-social.es/web/migraciones/w/certificado-de-registro-de-ciudadano-de-la-union-europea-hi-101-

@anthonymuscat65

I was registered on the EU citizen register with my uk passport as British.

In 2010 I changed the registered info using my Irish passport to show o was Irish.

No problems, no change of number