Looking for advice on the fundamentals - Uzès

I bought a house in Uzès in June and take possession in September. I have Canadian, UK and Polish citizenship and the latter affords me right of residency in the EU. However, it's likely Uzès will be a vacation home for a while, although also a possibility I could locate there in due course for half of the year or more. I'm looking for advice on the fundamentals - opening a bank account, which banks are best, obtaining a French driving licence, car, home and health insurance, etc. I've been studying these issues online but there's no substitute for obtaining info from foot soldiers on the ground.

Hello Rustic Islander,

Welcome !

Please note that I have edited the title of your thread so that members can better take notice fo what you are looking for.

Till they provide their feedback, I would recommend that you read the Living in France guide for expats, it contains all the first-hand infos.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All the best

Bhavna

Thank you, Bhavna.

Hello Rustic Islander

Congratulations on soon becoming the owner of property in Uzès.  The piece of advice I could give you only covers one of your questions - a bank ...

I would recommend La Banque Postale.  The charges are lower than regular banks, their website is user friendly and when I bought my flat, their offer of a loan was better than those of other more conventional banks.   As for house insurance, it's best to shop around although the bank, La Banque Postale can also cover you at a reasonable tariff. 

Bhavna's suggestion, Living in France for expats should give you the main lines of how to proceed on other issues. 

All the best and enjoy your newly acquired property.

Cilia Ann

Thank you, Cillia Ann. That's a helpful reference which I'll check out.