Basic Medicines in Thailand

Slowly I piece together my jigsaw for intended retirement to Thailand 2024. One of the pieces involves availability and costs of medicines Specifically I am prescribed a low level prescription for blood pressure. I believe the current medicines are Amlodopine and Losartin.

Does anyone have experience with procuring this type of medication in Thailand. I'm sure it or it's equivalent will be available, just wondering how expensive and how many hoops one has to go through to get these common medication?

Alf

@alffvdh email bangokdrugstore.com, they will help you.

Thy take Excellent care of me!

@Friendly G34 it's very easy to find meditation in Thailand from a pharmacy or a hospital. Prices are at least 50% of the US prices.  Good Luck.  Smart Move.

I am retiring to Pattaya early August, I visited various pharmacy's when I was there in February, all pharmacies and drug stores have medications, no need to see a dr they have them, I am on Amlodipine 5 mg I pay in Australia $7.30 for 30 tabs but that is with pension discount full price is $15. Price in Pattaya is 380 baht about $16 but this you get 100 tabs.I am  on Atorvvastatin  20 mg 30 tabs here same price as above pills in Aus. In Pattaya they are 380 baht $16 a bit expensive but if needed you can get a Thai version of meds, not sure how good they are. Just take a empty box into the pharmacy they will look after you

I take medication to control my heart rate and BP. I don't have any issues purchasing them in Thailand. I recently purchased Lasix and Aldactone 25mg (one month supply) for 250THB. This you can purchase with or without a prescription.

If you plan to live in Bangkok, any drugs that your local pharmacy does not stock, one option is to visit the large pharmacies in the vicinity of Siriraj Hospital. Most drugs manufactured in the world can be found here. The downside is, depending on the drug, it can be pricy. I would go visit a Thai doctor and have them prescribe a cheaper version of a drug that is similar. Will save you money in the long-term. Note: Once prescribed, you can just have them refilled without visiting the doctor again.

@alffvdh Hi Ralph,

All medications that you normally need a script for are purchasable in Pharmacies in Thailand.

Where are you retiring to?

We're in Chiang Mai and are both on medication. Some are a little more expensive than your home country, some a little less.

We've had no issues so far.

@alffvdh Hi Ralph,
All medications that you normally need a script for are purchasable in Pharmacies in Thailand.
Where are you retiring to?
We're in Chiang Mai and are both on medication. Some are a little more expensive than your home country, some a little less.
We've had no issues so far.
-@judyhickling01

"All medications that you normally need a script for are purchasable in Pharmacies in Thailand."

That's not correct. There are loads of prescription meds in Thailand you can't get in pharmacies.

@Leeds forever!

I stand corrected.

The OP mentioned basic medications.

I can only draw from my own experience and the medication that we're on. 😃

Have a great day. 👍

@Leeds forever!

That's correct. Such as strong pain meds (e.g. morphine) and certain psychotropic drugs.

@Friendly G34

Thanks for that. I will be up-country, closer to Nakhon Sawan. Will see what is the go there.

Alf

@kevinmcbeath

Thanks for that. Seems pretty reasonable. In NZ certain prescription medicines are quite heavily subsidised by our Health Authority. I'm sure that's the case in many countries. I was wondering what they would want to charge a falang in Thailand as we know there are "different prices".

Seems the prices you have stated are pretty good.

Cheers

Alf

@Leeds forever!

Yeah, I think I will go to a local doctor in or near Nakhon Sawan and get a prescription first up. I will certainly take my current prescription details with me from NZ.

Cheers

Alf

@judyhickling01

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't clear. I meant medicine that requires a prescription here in NZ, but is standard treatment for low level hypertension. I was lead to believe that some medicines that require prescription in Western countries might not need a prescription in Thailand.

I think I will play it safe and get a prescription from a local Doc.

Cheers

Alf

@alffvdh I also am prescribed bp tablets in  UK, Amlodipine and Lisinopril. I live in Korat and had no problem getting them from a local pharmacy at a reasonable price.

@stephenbell45

Sounds good. Thanks for that info.

Alf

Slowly I piece together my jigsaw for intended retirement to Thailand 2024. One of the pieces involves availability and costs of medicines Specifically I am prescribed a low level prescription for blood pressure. I believe the current medicines are Amlodopine and Losartin.
Does anyone have experience with procuring this type of medication in Thailand. I'm sure it or it's equivalent will be available, just wondering how expensive and how many hoops one has to go through to get these common medication?

Alf
-@alffvdh

I don't think there's a problem finding Amlodipine or Losartan or the equivalent in thai pharmacies. Every medicin/drug where the patent has expired have local brands. Just check out 3-4 pharmacies (there are pharmacies everywhere) and see which brands they have. The active ingredient is exactly the same and you can go for the cheapest. If by any chance you can't find it go to a clinic, not a hospital. Being smart in Thailand when it comes to medicin is always buying the Thai equivalent. It's exactly same stuff,but much cheaper. For example,clueless people from the US buys Tylenol because they have bought it back home for years. The patent must have expired 25 years ago, and thai brands are way cheaper, like Cemol. 100 tablets for ฿50 around the corner. Same with Voltaren. I know thai Diclofenac brands that cost 50-60% less in another pharmacy around the corner. The list goes on and on.

@Leeds forever!

Thanks for that. That is exactly what I was wondering. Looks like a non-issue!

Cheers

Alf