Is Ecuador for me? Attorney-turned-author & legal consultant via SKYPE

Hello, everyone.  I am a transplant from Massachusetts to Costa Rica, where I have been living for the past two years.  I am living off of a very low social security check.  The people in "my" town, Atenas, are extremely friendly, but CR is not as cheap as I had hoped.  I'd like to find somewhere cheaper.  I speak Spanglish, which almost suffices for my small needs.  Translate.Google fills in what I lack.

I do not expect a "social life" at my age -- 76 -- but I am always in front of my computer because I am now an attorney-turned-author, so friends and former clients either always email or SKYPE phone me.  As a result, I never feel lonely.  And they visit.  I would expect fewer visitors were I to move to Ecuador, but who knows . . . I have not compared airfares.

In CR, everyone is very security conscious.  Gates, fences, etc.  Not my house, though, which makes me fearful if I take a trip longer than a day.  Is it that way in Ecuador?

There are allegedly 27 weather patterns (climate zones) in CR.  How many in Ecuador?  I prefer 65-68 at night and up to 75 degrees. Anything comparable in Ecuador?  Where?

I'll stop here . . . despite a 100 more questions.
Ciao,
Barbara

Hello Barbara and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will share their opinions with you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Hi Barbara:

Climate "zones", basically 4; and that varies by altitude and on the coast by proximity to the breezes from the Humboldt current.

Try the Salinas area for the coast and the Cuenca area for the mountains for a start.

Much more cost effective and you will be more involved with the locals then in CR.  You'll see the walls and security but that is more matter of Spanish/Moorish architecture -- though security is something to consider the world over.

Definitely worth checking out!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Thanks, Susan!

Hi Barbara,

Check out my blog.  It should help.

retire-in-cuenca-ec.blogspot.com/

Larry

Went to your blog.  Same old stuff.  Immigration.  Thinking about immigration happens AFTER one goes to visit and AFTER one decides tro live there.  In order to decide whether to VISIT, one must have information about living in Ecuador.

barbaracjohnson wrote:

Went to your blog.  Same old stuff.  Immigration.  Thinking about immigration happens AFTER one goes to visit and AFTER one decides tro live there.  In order to decide whether to VISIT, one must have information about living in Ecuador.

Barbara,

With all due respect, you aparently did NOT read my blog.  I have 80+ posts on about Ecuador, where to find things as an expat when new in town.  The first post is about immigration; however, after that there is much information regarding Cuenca.  One thing I have learned in life is that you can't please everybody and at age 71, I really don't care to try.

Through my blog, I have probably saved more money for people than you could possibly imagine.  How do I know, well the people visiting and deciding to move here have told me so.  Sorry you feel the way you do.

Good luck!

Larry

Larry, I noticed a list in the right-hand column.  It began with a blog from last February.  I didn't have the patience to open all the posts listed.  Sorry.

WOW!  Thank you Larry.  Your blogspot is outstanding and loaded with gems, nuggets and valuable information.

Just learning about this one item was the golden jackpot.

Club Correos (Mail Club): 16 Feb 2011
I recently discovered some really great information regarding a way to purchase online packages from a fellow blogger who has used the Mail Club and lives in Cuenca, also.

Again, many thanks for your fine work!