Cherry Blossom Tale

While watching Thailand Bound volume 201 posted several hours ago on Youtube was a story about an Expat who met a Filipina woman.

This is a synopsis of his story.

During the 1980's with no internet or sell phones, he read some ads in the Cherry Blossoms magazine. He was a lonely man never having a girl friend.

He became pen pals with several woman and decided to go to the Philippines to meet them, wanting to spend several days with each one of them. One of them he was very attracted to. The first night all his expectations were met and he fell in love with her. She said she was single, never married and had no kids.

He and his girl friend visited her Mother, Uncle and Brother and enjoyed more romantic time with her in her in the Mothers house, he was worried about what the family would think, but she said it was OK.

They ended up getting married and had a wedding with 200 guests. He ended up bring his wife to the states and the romantic times started to dwindle.

Shortly afterwards he brought her Mother, Uncle and Brother to the states. Now the romantic times had come to a complete halt.

Sometime later when arriving home the Police were waiting for him. They announce they had a restraining order against him for spousal abuse and could not enter the home.

It turns out the Uncle was her Husband and the Nephew was her Son.

They (Wife, Mother, Uncle & Nephew) sold the house and moved back to the Philippines.

@Enzyte Bob

Just when you thought you'd heard it all. For the record was this magazine the prequel to the online dating site Cherry Blossoms?

Lotus Eater asked. . . . For the record was this magazine the prequel to the online dating site Cherry Blossoms?

With too much time on my hands. . . . .

According to Wikipedia Cherry Blossoms is the oldest and one of the largest matchmaking service. It was established in 1971 as a catalog of Personals listings selling addresses so people can make direct contact.

In 2001 Cherry Blossoms went entirely to a web based format.

What happened to this Expat could have happened and has happened on one of many dating sites, it just so happens I was watching this Youtube channel when this dating site came up.

Immigration laws must have been very lax at that time. There is no way you can bring uncles or even mothers into the US these days unless they can get a visitors visa for a temporary visit.

The story reminds me of the Filipina Dream Girls movie but only because it occurs in about the same time period. Funny thing is the version on YouTube matches the version I have on CD until the end. The bearded guy was so scary looking his pen pal ran away when she saw him in person at the airport and he ended up hooking up with the cleaning girl from the hotel where they were staying. In the YouTube version ending they all lived happily ever after. In the version I have on CD the cleaning girl who was usually seen scrubbing floors in the hotel was now scrubbing floors in the bearded man's very dirty Welsh farm house.

I witnessed a thing like that myself in the Philippines. I rented a house in Puerto Princessa on Palawan. Not far from me lived an Norwegian man with his Filipina girlfriend and her kids. While visiting them reguarly i noticed the children always went to the neighbours house were a Filipino lived.  A verry friendly always smiling goodlooking guy.  I never however thought something strange  about it. Than one day it turned out that that Filipino guy living next door was the husband of the Filipina girlfriend of my new found Norwegian friend. He lived there with her for already 10 years or so and never noticed something was wrong in the romantic story, everyboddy all Filipino people around them knew it and he was the laughing stock of the century to them. Wenn he found out he left her and went back to Norway. Having lost 10 years of his precious life living a lie. Later i heard that evey time she had cooked she had her children brought food to their father nex door. Also the children never told their new Norwegian pappa what realy was going on. She even washed the clothes for her husband next door and gave him clothes from the Norwegian man.  That was finaly the mistake the married couple made, seeing his neighbour walking around in his own clothes he noticed something was wrong in the picture. And than found out the truth somehow. I think this kind of things are much going on as we foreigners all know. I also had a Filipina Girlfriend who had others on the side. Somehow they just cannot live without them. You lose your trust over that. And it is verry hard to trust again. I am going in shortly back to the Philippines to retire, but not looking for an relationship. I personaly dont believe in honest Filipina`s, they will be there probably, but i never found one.

This is the stuff of urban legends. She was already married to a Filipino, but was able to marry the American man and nothing showed up when she applied for her K3 visa? There is also the issue of an unaccounted for birth that should have put a screeching halt to the K3 process.

Sad story about the Norwegian guy. Ouch.

There is good and bad. Like everywhere in the world. I never had an issue with my Filipina wife. She is so happy to have a better life and she will not be that stupid to risk it.

It puts a whole new slant on the ' Cuckoo in the nest ' syndrome. I wonder how many expats in the Philippines really know what's going on.

Or don't want to know or turn a blind eye?

The OP smacks of Mills and Boon or if a true story deserved all that transpired, bet he won't go there again so quickly.

As another member said how can you be married twice in western countries.

Cheers, Steve.

@Andy_1963 love ❤️ the you say she has a better life, but follow up with STUPID. I'm sure she loves being called stupid as ***. Don't see my Filipina this was, it that's one man's opinion.

Moderated by Cheryl 11 months ago
Reason : Assumption + borderline rude
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Andy_1963 said . . . There is good and bad. Like everywhere in the world. I never had an issue with my Filipina wife. She is so happy to have a better life and she will not be that stupid to risk it.

Andy just take her to back to Austria . . . She will find a younger, better looking and financially better off guy.

@Enzyte Bob

"Andy just take her to back to Austria . . . She will find a younger, better looking and financially better off guy."

Where she will sing a rendition of ' The hills are alive to the sound of bank notes rustling'