Power tools

Any thought on the quality of power tools bought in the Philippines VS. Power tools from the states. I'm thinking of shipping some of my construction tools over to the Philippines in order for me to use to build our house. I'll have to buy a transformer for the power tools but I can purchase that in the Philippines. Thanks for your help.

I've purchased a few power tools lately here in Dumaguete and have been happy with them all.  Transformers are heavy and a pain to use, so I'll stick to the local 230 (240) voltage tools. Good quality (Makita, etc.) and OK quality at a good price (Black & Decker) are available.  "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" is my motto on the choice of voltage.  Transformers are boat anchors.  My wife and I are aiming at spending 6 Months here and 6 months in the US and I don't plan to carry tools back and forth.  DM

@Dave & Ruby

I bought a Makita cut off saw for cutting rebar, a Makita 1/2" hammer drill and a Makita 4" angle grinder for our construction projects. They all made it though the projects and I now have the tools for personal use. I also bought a Daiden 300 amp inverter welding machine and that is also still in good condition after burning about 10 kgs of welding rods. I bought these tools locally at Citi Hardware and Brodeth Marketing to make sure the tools were genuine.

I bought a fake Makita jig saw and circular saw on Lazada but the circular saw didn't last so I bought a Lotus brand replacement and that is a better choice than the fake name brands. I also have a Lotus shop vac that has proven itself. Ingco is another popular local brand. To the best of my knowledge China is not yet cloning Lotus and  Ingco so it is safer to buy those brands online.

I bought a 20 inch "Stihl" chainsaw on Lazada for less than P2,500 including shipping. A real Stihl this size would probably cost $600 - $800. I know it is fake but it runs like a beast. The crew and I used it to clear all the gnarly old trees and coconut tree stumps that were planted on the 140' rear property line in order to build a fence. I only replaced the chain once. For the smaller roots and tight spots I bought a 10" chain saw adapter for my angle grinder. These things sell for P250 on Lazada and work very well.

I only use a step down transformer for to charge my Dewalt batteries.

I would buy a generator that will push your power tool. Just found out last couple of weeks that there are restrictions on plugging in some power tools into house power. May not be that way where you are but that's the way it is in our part of Southern Leyte.

I enjoyed your post.  It's obvious you are a genuine source of good info.  Thanks. 

I have purchased a few Lotus & Total tools, vacuum, power washer etc, but prefer TOTAL products over Lotus...Makita is always great as long as it's genuine...

FYI, The Lotus power washer motor gears stripped out after 1 year, so I won't purchase from them again, replaced unit with a FASA brand, it's fantastic

I second the choice of Lotus and Total, the drills and saw I purchased work fine.

An Ingco store recently opened up near me, will try them for a cordless drill

I purchased a Makita  cordless drill from the “factory store “ on Lazada.  They wouldn't honor the guarantee when the battery charger quit working in less than a week

just remember to keep your tools in a dry environment........humidity will destroy them. and to one of the points made above, keep your power tools on a separate power source which is different from your house electrics. The Philippine power source is dicey, fires start pretty easy........usually from lousy electric products and wiring. Don't expect the electric to be up to par with, let's say, USA power and wiring. Also there are constant power outages. So plan for appliances/tools to get a good start up after being "out," power surges, etc.