Surprise Package

My Lenovo dash cam arrived today. I ordered it from a LazMall seller with a lot of good reviews but when I opened the box there was no dash cam, only a piece of wood with cardboard taped to it. A wooden dash cam, what a surprise! After 866 Lazada orders that were not tampered with I finally got a good one. Welcome to the Philippines.

9i9P5g.jpg

It wood be a Lenovo....

Shopee and Lazada I always chose the former as easy to deal with if there is a problem. Too many problems with Lazada sellers over the years and don't bother these days, Moon dog it's a nice scrap of Eco wood but will you mount it in your car?

Worry little as you will get your money back eventually but wonder if the vendor selling a scam will pay for the return freight for a scrap of wood in a nice box.

I purchased an Asus laptop on Lazada and our regular delivery guy sat there while Ben opened it and called me to look, it weighed like 2 pieces of paper, was unbranded, the delivery guy took it back to the depot and sent it back (only becauase he knows us and will mark undeliverable)

I contacted the seller complaining and they responded with yes it's an Asus copy that weighs less than a pack of cigarettes. Probably an empty shell for PHP 22K, Ben brought me the supposed same model in a local store for the same price and was branded and came with a 12 month warranty.

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog You cannot return it as you have used it1f601.svg

Wow, funny. And sad. I've never had any issues with refunds on Lazada. Did one recently on a Otterbox, wrong model. Ordered through same vendor again,  got the right one, and the refund on the 1st one.

I have had my share of lollipops in a box...

Returns are much easier and straightforward on Lazada, no questions asked...

but shopee instead has a dispute format that has to be followed, with back and forth between seller and buyer, then proof with pictures/videos etc, much more of a hassle and then 3-4 days later you may only get a percentage back from Shopee. 

So far both have been fair with us, always been compensated for the fraud, just one is much more easier then the other..

Well you could resell it Lazada. . . . .

Reminds me of a story, many years ago my neighbor worked at O'hare Airport. after his shift his car wouldn't start, he looked under the hood and his battery was stolen. I asked him what did he do? He replied he opened the hood of the car next to him and stole their battery.

Now a joke . . . .

This guys car had a flat tire and while changing the tire someone else opened his hood. He asked what he was doing and the guy replied you take the tires, I only want the battery.

Lazada issued a full refund to my method of payment in an hour or two. I have 866 purchases on Lazada so that may have something to do with the excellent customer service I've gotten from them. The seller wasn't liable since I'm sure he had nothing to do with it. I bought it from a LazMall seller with lots of 5 star reviews so he wouldn't risk losing his LazMall status for P2,500. It was delivered by Ninja Van just a couple days after I filed my first and only complaint against them for poor delivery service.

Two weeks ago I ordered a thermostat for my multicab from Shopee since Lazada didn't have the one I wanted. I paid in full with Maya but after a couple days it was still marked unpaid. I contacted the seller and he said he never received payment so I had to spend a couple hours researching and writing messages and emails. It turns out that Maya sent the payment to Dragonpay and Dragonpay sent the payment to Xendit and looks like it ended there. So I filed a case with Shopee, Dragonpay and Xendit to see who would refund my P1,291. Shopee wanted me to establish a Shopeepay account before they would consider a refund. Shopee would not refund to my method of payment the way Lazada did for me today. Dragonpay wanted proof I had sent the money and Xendit didn't say much at all. After about a week Dragonpay issued the refund and I bought a cheaper thermostat from Lazada.

@bigpearl It would be pretty scary buying a laptop on Lazada or Shopee. I'm not sure what I would do if my laptop gives up the ghost. I bought this one in 2016 shortly after retiring. I vowed to never get on another airplane so I went on a shopping spree with my frequent flyer miles. I saw a LG Gram laptop on Delta's shopping site for a quarter million miles. They were selling for a little over $1,400 on Amazon at the time so I went for it. Your were talking about how light the Asus fake was, this LG weighs 2 lbs and the base and display are very thin. The base is too thin for a RJ45 network plug so they include a pigtail, but I've never used it. It has an Intel I7 processor and solid state hard drive so it is still fast by todays standards. I'm typing on it now and hopefully will be typing on it for many years to come. If I ever have to replace it I would probably order something on Amazon and just pay the shipping.

If I received this I wood be pineing for my cam.

Sorry Moon Dog could not resist.

Glad it got sorted for you.

Thanks for the heads up

Noel

@Moon Dog WOW WOW!

Search Youtube for: Funniest online seller scams.

See buyers reaction when they open their box/purchases.

I guess I would not buy a laptop on Amazon and have it shipped to the Philippines. I just checked and many have free shipping, but there is a 60% "Import Fees Deposit".

Moon Dog said . . . . I guess I would not buy a laptop on Amazon and have it shipped to the Philippines. I just checked and many have free shipping, but there is a 60% "Import Fees Deposit".

Two years ago my laptop gave up the ghost. My stepson took me to a place near the Green Hills Mall, the mall is well noted for name brand counterfeit shoes, handbags & watches.

This place we went to was known for computers & accessories. Matter of fact as we exited Grab, several hawkers tried to steer us to the shop they worked for. In the third shop I found what I was looking for, actually my stepson did as he is more knowledgeable than me.

This place had hundreds of used laptops. I settled on a used LG laptop with an intel I5 processor and windows 7. The price was P6,000 and a free upgrade to windows 10. I use the laptop as a desktop with an external keyboard, monitor and wireless mouse. I've never have shut it down, only restarting from time to time.

So if anyone is ever in the Manila area, cheap used cheap laptops are available near the Green Hills Mall.

Online purchases on Lazada & Shopee . . .

I only make small purchases on Lazada & Shopee. I had a bad experience on Lazada and choose to make my purchases on Shopee.

To protect myself I always use c.o.d. but there is some pitfalls. It seems every purchase is so well packaged it's impossible to inspect when delivered. (layers & layers of bubble wrap). You have several days to authorize the c.o.d. purchase for the seller to receive the money. So if the purchase is a scam do not authorize the payment. I you choose to do nothing within three days, the seller will receive the c.o.d. payment.

Well that's true Bob but I suppose they want to protect the item/s against damage.

I ordered 50 half inch coach bolts and nuts 6 inches long, when they arrived there were no nuts, I sent a msg to the seller requesting the nuts or a refund,,,,, they said I need to send a video of the delivery being opened (new one on me) after a few frustrating conversations I complained to Shopee about the problem and the way the vendor treated me. 2 days later the money was returned and the vendor never said a thing nor asked for the bolts back. P 1600 from memory. Got the nuts from the local hardware.

Cheers, Steve.

I guess I would not buy a laptop on Amazon and have it shipped to the Philippines. I just checked and many have free shipping, but there is a 60% "Import Fees Deposit".
-@Moon Dog

Plenty of reputable computer stores at Ayala Mall in Cebu City, Moondog. Just make it a little getaway with the wife. No need to order a laptop online.

-@Moon Dog
Plenty of reputable computer stores at Ayala Mall in Cebu City, Moondog. Just make it a little getaway with the wife. No need to order a laptop online.
-@pnwcyclist

Excellent advice. You really don't want to entrust an expensive delicate piece of equipment like a computer to a courier.

Maybe or not, I replaced my 15inch Mac book pro with a 16 inch pro and I had to order from Singapore as all they could sell me here was a 13" pro. 4 or 5 weeks later it turned up and nary a problem with delivery.

Cheers, Steve.

@pnwcyclist WOW!!!

@bigpearl My wife ordered her iPhone online and it also came from Singapore. It was not delivered on a motorbike like a Lazada or Shopee order. It was instead delivered by a 4 wheel vehicle, sealed in a heavy plastic tamperproof bag and signature required. It was more expensive than buying the phone in the US so I'm guessing the custom fees were rolled into the price.

Moon Dog, the Mac I ordered from Singapore was the same price as here in PH but there were none available and no shipping costs. I would have purchased here if they held stock.

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog The duty varies and then they tack on the 12% VAT. The strange thing is they include shipping and insurance in the duty and tax. Just keep your order under the Php 10k limit and you're good. I bought my kids ASUS BR1100 student laptops on Lazada. I didn't have any problems. Just more expensive of course. I found a good deal on the US version of the same laptop on Amazon, had 128 GB storage instead of the 64 of the ones on Lazada. So I bought 4 of them and had them shipped in a BB box. I added a 500 GB SSD to each (same as I did my kids) and upgraded them to Win 11 Pro. Now I'm selling them on FB market place for 21k. The battery life is 10 hours because the screen is only 11.6. I've already sold one. My kids like them better than the Lenovo's with the 15" screens they had. The ASUS is really light and has a non slip surface, easy to carry.

My wife ordered some Golden Goose shoes, $501, duty and tax added another $152. She also wanted new hearing aids which were about Php 338k with her PWD discount. Even though she is only 44 she has always had bad hearing. So I found the same ones online from the Netherlands. Even adding in duty and tax I paid about half of what Manila Hearing Aid was offering with the discount. I'm waiting for my appt at the VA clinic to get hearing aids, they also use Manila Hearing Aids.

Forgot to add; Hearing Aids are a big ripoff in pricing...same in the US.

@pilotdrh I believe all Filipinas need hearing aids, they never listen.