Brazil visa & Background check

I'm applying for a digital nomad visa and need the FBI background check. It looks like it requires fingerprints. Is there a way to do this without returning to the US? Or will that be required to complete this process?

Yes, you can print the fingerprint sheet and fingerprint yourself. I believe it's the FD-240. My advice would be to go to a stationery store and get an inkpad, and practice it a couple times to get it down. It's really easy and there are YouTube videos to help you learn.

Some people on the forum might have conflicting advice, but I've done it this way like seven times now, from within Brazil.

Hi there! I actually just completed my background check and I printed out the FD-258 cards myself from the electronic ordering website. I then fingerprinted myself as well. Although I did mine within the United States but I don't foresee it being an issue for you.

I've seen on other forums where people have sent it from other countries as well with no issue.

hope this helps ☺️

04/18/23 @gpickett00.  I'd suggest going with haragiar's advice above (the form is either FD-258 or FD-1164; they're very similar).  It is sometimes possible to print out the form and bring it to the local police (Civil, Military, or Federal) to be fingerprinted, but the various police forces seem to have become quite resistant to that in a lot of places, so you might as well try doing it yourself.

How much time do you have left on your tourist visa?  Keep in mind that you'll need a US State Department apostille on the FBI Background Check, and state apostilles on your other official documents, as well as Sworn Translations done here in Brazil.  Overstaying your visa complicates everything:  if that's a danger, then going back and getting the visa at the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your state may make sense.

@abthree thanks for the response. I'm actually in Colombia right now, so I'll be doing this process through the Brazilian consulate there.

I was searching around about the different documents being apostilled, and according to this: reddit.com/r/digitalnomad/comments/wd23wz/do_i_need_my_documents_apostilled_for_brazilian/ only the birth certificate is required to be apostilled.

Did you have a different experience?

04/18/23 @abthree thanks for the response. I'm actually in Colombia right now, so I'll be doing this process through the Brazilian consulate there.
I was searching around about the different documents being apostilled, and according to this: reddit.com/r/digitalnomad/comments/wd23wz/do_i_need_my_documents_apostilled_for_brazilian/ only the birth certificate is required to be apostilled.

Did you have a different experience?
-@gpickett00

The system isn't letting your link appear -- please send it to me in a direct message and I'll take a look.

The authentication requirements are different at a Consulate than they are at the Federal Police. If you were at a Brazilian Consulate in the US you wouldn't need any apostilles or Sworn Translations, but I don't know what a consulate in a third country will require.

@gpickett00 I almost did not make it back to Brazil, so I would follow ALL of @abthree's suggestions, especially how much time you have on your VISA.

I flew to Miami from Brazil last month to get my fingerprinting with AB at a participating UPS location. Because the FBI Background check and fingerprinting is done by the FBI, a domestic organization, there is little leeway for doing it out of the USA.

I had two days left on my visa when I got to Sao Paulo airport from Miami. That was not good enough for the Passport officials. I spent over an hour and a half negotiating with them to return to Brazil. I missed my connecting flight to Jeri and only with the help of my very resourceful Brazilian wife at home in Cearra and a possible high-ranking Brazilian official was I given the okay to enter. I was extremely prepared since the original plan was to meet my wife in Fortaleza and go to the Federal Police. I had ALL my documents (Marriage Certificate, CPF, Printed FBI Background Check...everything). i still had a horrifying experience and will not leave Brazil again until I am a Permanent Resident (spouse).

Be very careful before you leave Brazil unless you have a place to live elsewhere.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Update:

• I fingerprinted myself, mailed it off, they processed it and mailed my family in the US background check.
  • Expect to receive my birth certificate today

does anyone know if the FBI Background check needs to be apostilled?

@abthree What is the "sworn translations" part of this that you're referring to? And you mention having it done "here in brazil".

I'm in Colombia at the moment. Can you clarify?

05/28/23 @abthree What is the "sworn translations" part of this that you're referring to? And you mention having it done "here in brazil".
-@gpickett00

I apologize: this post happened to come through on my birthday, and got lost in the celebrations. 🥳

Under Brazilian law since 1916, any any foreign document for use in a legal or administrative process must be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator who has passed a competitive examination and been appointed by the Junta Comercial of a Brazilian state. You can find a Sworn Translator by searching on "Tradutor Juramentado" and the city where you're looking. There are also Sworn Translators who will accept your documents online and provide you with printable Sworn Translations with electronic signatures, although not all agencies may recognize them.

@abthree What is the "sworn translations" part of this that you're referring to? And you mention having it done "here in brazil".
-@gpickett00

In Brazil as an "Ex-pat", you will eventually need a "Sworn Translator" for one sort of document or another. They are licensed and tested by the government. From Driver's licenses, property purchases, power of attorney, immigration, some car documentation, etc. you will need one at some point in time. Find one before you need one if possible as most good ones are busy. Most of us that have been into this for any length of time have translators we use and would highly recommend. I have one I truly like, she is a nice person and very well-experienced with ex-pats. PM me if desired.

@rraypo i would be interested in her information if you don't mind send me her information through DM. thank you for that!