Trials and tribulations of CRNM Retiree Renewal

Well, just received a reply from my application and it appears I have to do every all over again, from the beginning. Whereas before with the consulate I didn't have to translate my documents for proof of pension, now apparently I need to, so I'm trying to slog though all this and report as I go to help others in the future. My first problem I'm trying to solve is the payment required. Apparently, the payment I had made to the PF is onlly for the issuance of the CRNM card. I need to make another payment (of the R$204) for this application, but the website is different. Apparently it is this one: https://consulta.tesouro.fazenda.gov.br/gru_novosite/gru_simples.asp

but of course it isn't immediately apparent how to complete the web form. Has anyone done this before?

If I had known this I would have just applied for another temporary VISA and gone that route for the renewal. I think it would have been much easier than dealing with Brasilia, but it is what it is...

04/06/23 @mikehunter.  Thanks for the update.  Sorry that it's going this way:  it really does sound like they're making it up as they go along.  It makes no sense for you to have to get those documents translated -- after all, you didn't UNretire!  But as you say, "it is what it is."  Hope that it smooths out soon.

(btw, that link isn't working.)

@abthree @abthree Thanks.  I forgot to use the "Link" button.  Should be working now.  If not let me know.  Yes, I was treating this as a "renewal" not a "new application" that apparently was my mistake.  Not sure what I'm going to do about the police report in the US.  That isn't something I can simply request over the web for an updated copy.  I had to submit fingerprints, etc. to get it.  It's dated 2021.  I'll try getting it translated and resubmit the original apostiled version, but if they want a new report from the US, I have to go there to get it.  I've got the version from the PF that is current.  We'll see if that works.

Anyway, to those coming up on their renewal stay tuned and be prepared to redo EVERYTHING.

04/06/23 @mikehunter.  Yep, it works now.  I've never seen that particular form before, but it looks like it will generate a GRU, which is the document you want.

You're on the scene and can judge the situation best, but before I booked a flight to the US just to get an FBI Background Check because some low-level official at the PF wants to avoid the possibility of getting yelled at by his superiors, I'd talk to a lawyer or a despachante about what should be a plain vanilla renewal.  Unless you have other reasons to go back anyway, and just want to stop by an Authorized Channeler while you're there.

@abthree Yeah, I have to return anyway the end of May, so I think I'm going to try to slog it out. Worse case I think is I'll have to get another temporary visa at the consulate. Here's the instructions on how to fill out the form for those that might need it. I'll keep posting as I go though this and when it's all over, hopefully we'll have a good set of instructions on how to do this so people don't have to reinvent the wheel.... ;-)

https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/pt/ … nto-de-gru

Oh, and BTW, this is indeed a separate fee from the CRNM renewal which is R$204.~  This is R$168.~

I am in the process of getting my retirement visa for brazil. I think I have all of the documents I need and will be sending them in English to the embassy in Atlanta.

I am concerned about the “proof of retirement” requirement beyond the ability to $2000/month. I have no retirement and nothing to officially document my retirement. can someone tell me the exact requirements/details for this “proof of retirement”?

I have a lawyer and a broker that I have not yet engaged with. Should I work through this broker? I am currently in Brazil and have four month left on my tourist visa to get this done.

@alevinthal If you are currently in Brasil, how long do you plan on staying? There are two paths to getting a retirement residency - one is through a consulate and the other is through Justice in Brasilia. If you are planning on staying here for an extended period of time, then you should take the Justice path. If you are only here for a few weeks, then the consulate is the correct route.  Be advised however if you take the consulate route you have to apply for a temporary visa intended for retirement. That will provide the mechanism to obtain the CRNM. If you do it in Brasil, then Justice will give the approval and your name will be published in the DOU (Diário Oficial da União), which will be the mechanism to obtain the CRNM.

To answer your question about proof of retirement, I believe @abthree answered that in another post. Basically, you need to show that you have sufficient funds (401K, Savings, etc.) that will allow you to send at least $2000 / month to Brazil. Social Security Benefits can also be used for this. If you are currently receiving Social Security, you can go to their website and print out a benefits letter. Additionally, you need to show you have a bank account in the US which can do the transfer. You can contact your bank in the US, and have them write a simple letter saying that.

If you are in Brazil, any letters from another country have to be translated to Portuguese by an official translator in order to be accepted by Justice in Brasilia. That is a relatively easy process, you just send the letters electronically via a web site, they do the translation and send it back to you. I've used the following: https://traducaojuramentada24h.com.br/ but you can also do a search and find others.  Note: Foreign documents have to be translated in Brazil.  In other words, if you have a document from the US, it cannot be translated in the US, it must be translated in Brazil by a person who is authorized to do such translations.  You can't use Google translator or have some random person do it.

The information above is for the initial CRNM, not the renewal. I'm currently working my way though that process, and once it is completed I'll post the steps required.

Hope that helps.

The information above is for the initial CRNM, not the renewal. I'm currently working my way though that process, and once it is completed I'll post the steps required.

Hope that helps.
-@mikehunter

Could I register for a CRNM with a visitor visa?..

I saw somewhere I could register as a foreigner.

06/12/23 Could I register for a CRNM with a visitor visa?..
I saw somewhere I could register as a foreigner.
-@antonioggriffin

No, unless you married a Brazilian, were the parent of a Brazilian child, qualified for residency as a Digital Nomad, or made a qualifying real estate purchase.  In all those cases, you would still need to have all the required documentation in hand.