Expired RNE Card - Reapply in Brasil?

Hello all,

My Perm Res card expired in Sept 2020.

I was out of Brasil when it expired.

Could not return during covid to renew it.

I just arrived in Brasil a few weeks ago in Feb 2023, and would like to reapply for another card while in Brasil.

Can I do this while in Brasil since I previously held residency here?

*Or must I first go back to the USA and get a regular paid visa first attached to my passport, then enter Brasil and finally reapply after coming back to Brasil with the old type of visa in my passport. It doesnt make sense why the Fed P would make me leave first, but thought Id ask here first.

I say this because on this trip now I entered under the free 90 day visa waiver program.

Im married to a Brazilian.

Thanks.

03/15/23 @ExpatUSATravels.  If you and your wife don't immediately plan to live in Brazil permanently, that's going to be a hard sell to the PF.  You might want to consider talking to a lawyer sooner rather than later.

@ExpatUSATravels

Having a prior RNE/Permanent Residency really won't mean much as you will be starting over now. As far as I have always heard, the PF is firm on expired Residency. Although they did provide some time flexibility during Covid, it was never this much.  Personally speaking, I believe it is much easier to start the VITEM Visa process in the USA, than to come to  Brazil to complete the process. Although, I am not sure which VITEM Visa you qualify for, but I have had great experiences with the Consulate in SF California. As Abthree said, I would not do this until you are ready to move or to be here in Brazil for the majority of the time.

Please! I heard the RNE cannot be renewed after 2 years is this true?

03/15/23 Please! I heard the RNE cannot be renewed after 2 years is this true?
-@Ako Stephen

After an unbroken two year absence?  Yes, I believe that's true.  The former resident would have to go through the whole process again.

Please! I heard the RNE cannot be renewed after 2 years is this true?
-@Ako Stephen

Other than the short extensions during Covid, as far as I know, there is no such thing as renewing residency on an expired RNE, you will have to start the process over. I have never heard of any flexibility granted by the PF

@abthree

my spouse and I are planning to spend the majority of our time in Brasil.

And yes I'm well aware that I cannot just simply renew.

And that I will have to start over again.

Just wanted to know if its possible to start the process from here in Brasil since we are both here now .

03/15/23 @abthree  Just wanted to know if its possible to start the process from here in Brasil since we are both here now .
-@ExpatUSATravels

It should be, and if you have all the required apostilled documents with you and have or obtain (not hard since you're already here) the required Sworn Translations, you shouldn't have any serious problems.  Good luck!

@abthree thanks.

i also thought that doing the whole process over again should be easy with all of the same certified documents. I guess I would just need now a new photo, and a fresh new criminal report from my home country USA.

I dont think the Fed Police would ask me to fly all the way back to the USA to inititate the process from there if I am already in Brasil.
Especially since I've previously held a Brazilian PR card.
I think the only time that you must inititate the process in your home country is if you've never held a PR card in Brasil.
I could be wrong but it just doesnt make sense to send someone 10 hours on airplanes just to have them come back to Brasil. lol.

@abthree I could be wrong but it just doesnt make sense to send someone 10 hours on airplanes just to have them come back to Brasil. lol.
-@ExpatUSATravels

Believe me, the Ministry of Justice couldn't care less about your convenience. 

They DO, however, care about your wife's, because as a Brazilian citizen, she has a constitutional right to have you in the country with her, and they won't inconvenience HER by sending you back, as long as you have all the right documents.  When you've accomplished all of this successfully, be sure to take her out for a nice dinner or something. 😉

@abthree of course, her fav Rodizio.

1f60b.svg

@abthree ok thanks

@rraypo ok thanks been here since the covid and I have renewed twice now but I was told by an agent that I can't extend for the 3rd time since the maximum extension is 2YEARS not sure if they will let me start the whole process all over again.