Residency and birdnesting

My Dutch partner is birdnesting and the IND can't seem to get their heads around the fact that I'll be registered at one address (my apartment) and she'll be registered at another address (when she birdnests).

She can't unregister from her place because her ex-partner is not co-operative.

Does anyone have experience of this - or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm reading between the lines as you've not been clear (and you don't have to be); your partner lived together in a shared house/flat with her old partner, they've split up and she is now your partner.  Her old apartment is in joint names, so unless her old partner is willing to take it on or move out, she is stuck with a lease and can't de-register.  By birdnesting, do you mean she is sleeping at her old address under the same roof as her ex?

If that's right, then she needs to go and see a lawyer because there will be a contract somewhere that she signed off; she should also speak to her old landlord and find out what her options are (i.e. give notice).

If I'm wrong, then I don't see what the problem is, she just walks out, de-registers at the current Gemeente, and then registers at your address.

I'm not sure if I've helped at all, but I hope it has.

Cynic

Expat Team