Fixed term contract non renewal. No more tasks given after notice.

Hi. I am struggling at my work right now. My company has given me notice that they will not renew my contract anymore in December. My contract ends in February. Because of the nature of the tasks I usually do with the company, I am now only allowed to do very limited work. Now, I almost don't have any work to do for the company but I still need to stay until the end of February. I expressed this concern with the company because it is becoming too hard for me to bear mentally going to the company and doing nothing. Is there any advise you can give where I can complete my contract legally while reaching an agreement with the company about the tasks I still need to do?

It feels like the company just wants me to quit on my own so they are not entitled to pay my remaining salary and benefits. In fact, when I suggested working from home, they said that it would be unfair for them if "I just pretend to work from home".

It's draining me mentally. Please help.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you have this in writing, go and see your HR department and explain your situation, asking for some alternative tasks you can do until you finish.  If they are uncooperative and it is affecting you mentally, go and see your GP and explain your situation and see if he will write you off as sick.

At the end of the day, you have a contract that both sides have to fulfil.  It seems like your employer has met their side of the contract, likewise, if they are not willing to give you anything to do, then sit there and read a book.  I suspect that somebody will soon be embarrassed about it and do something.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team