Housing question and more :)

Hi All,
I may be moving from the U.S to Riyadh soon. However , I had some questions that I need your help to answer:

1- Any reviews for Jzala compound 3 (riyadh) ? is it really good place?
2- How much is the yearly tution for an American pre-school (KG),  this is not convered by company.
3- How negotiable are job offers and benefits ?
4- Are all jobs on contract basis ? so does the contract need to be renewd each year, I just don't want to leave and sell everything here in the U.S to move to Saudi for a year and then need to come back!
5- Does anyone know what "R-Days" stands for , I see it in the job offer, how is that different than regualat leave days ?
6- What is a good salary (assuming all expenses are covered) for a senior IT (Oracle) developer position ?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Any input ? you don't have to answer all questions, please share your experience in any question that applies :)

Thanks much!!

4. contracts are renewed end of each year though uve signed a two year contract. the thing is that you could end up not happy about your job depending on your compound.

for an example i am a teacher in the uae. taaleem schools are excellent. teachers are happy and dont want to leave. but then there are other schools where teachers dont even get paid. so DONT sell anything. you can always sell later or at least make a final decision after 6 months.

2.heres an excellent school where its orginally american and the pschology of the student is in safe hands. aisr.org you can call up and ask whatever you want and they ll be more than happy to help :)

6. A construction european project manager gets 40 000 sr in a package, no plane tickets, no accomodation, no car, nothing plain salary.

an american IM only assuming should get same offer plus everything.

3. I ve never succeeded in any negotiations. But you can try your luck however becareful you ll only be successful if you have another job offer then somehow it REALLY does work. (i succed once actually and that s because i had a scond offer.)

thats all iknow sorry take care goodluck

1. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 … 647&v=wall
This is the FB page for the compond residents - meet your neighbours:-)

2. http://www.aisr.org/
School - ask them get the facts.

3.Negiotiate before signing contract...there will be some give

4. Expats jobs are on contract basis, normally renewed but there is that chance it may not be. (I would not sell everything, put up for rent and place bulky items in storage)Read up about Saudization.

5. R-Days are relax days (official state holidays - end of Ramadan, Hajj, and independence day)

6. Sorry Im not in the IT field, what I would expect for Westren Expats is 1. Basic Salary 2. Performance Bonus 3. Accomodation allowance (or employer paid) 4. Flight ticket home 5. Education for Kids

Hope this helps...

Thank you folks for your response, I highly appreciate your input, it help having an idea about what's going on over there.
I already knew about the FB for JZala compound, but it looked like a group of kids missing around and not seriuos about reviewing the compound. Am wondering if some one lives there or heard about it. It is relatively new ( jzala 3 riyadh)

By the way, is it common that companies won't pay the expat and cost of living allowences (around 30%) during regular day leaves (30 days/year), it seems strange to me but it may be the trend over there..

Also, any idea about good used or new SUVs there ? are they cheap as I hear, can they be financed on 0% APR ?

Again, thanks much for all your help, it is priceless!!

Did you ever find out more information (Or move here?) This is where I'm pretty sure this is where I will be in a couple of weeks.