Driving from Riyadh to UAE

Dear All,

I would be going with family from Riyadh to UAE on eid holidays. We would be taking the Hofuf route. I would like to know if there are some small hotels after Hofuf or near the Saudi / Qatar and Saudi / UAE borders. Some place like the mafroosha would be ok so that we may rest half way through and then drive on the next day.

Thanks and awaiting your kind suggestions.

Just go through this thread, Nice info is available :)https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=61650

Good Luck !

Hey  m planning the same but on the Eid-ul-Adha, leme know your experiences. Why you want to a motel kinda of a thing on your way. In any case you can stop by some gas station, rest room stretch your logs and go ahead.
From what I read and calculated its total 10 hours drive (max to abu dhabi) if you go 140 average. At UAE Border it will take soem time may be 1 hour (what I heard from people) and there also you have to get ou of car and do the processing so that will also give your legs some relaxaton.

However, once you come back please share your tips and feedback regarding this trip.

regards

Thanks saimans for your kind reply.

pkmusd, i will surely post my trip details and experience.

I'l drive further on from Hofuf and stay at night a little before UAE / Qatar. Then will continue journey early in the morning.

Can anyone please provide information if there are any motels/small hotels at the Saudi side of Qatar or UAE border so that we may have a stay at night.

Thanks.

I recently drove to Riyadh and back to Dubai.  If you are going with your family, I would not recommend that you plant to stay overnight.  Riyadh to UAE border is 8 to 10 hrs drive. If you leave early morning say 5 to 6 am you can reach dubai safely by 7 to 8 pm . Besides u will be in UAE in the day time for sure. 
I drove straight to Kharaj.  This road is two hours short in duration, however, requires some experience to drive, as the road is two lanes only. Heavy traffic.  Few Petrol pumps on the way, no street lights, and camels crossings in between.  If you have a good car, and u plan to drive in the day time, this is shorter route.
At borders, it will take hardly 30 minutes, if you are with your wife/kids, otherwise, expect longer times :)
Before saudi border and right after UAE border, u can find roadside hotels/ petrol pumps, but again, they are not "MOTELS"...
Good luck and have a safe journey...

Copy paste the link below:-
https://maps.google.ae/maps?hl=en&ie=UT … CAoQ-A8wAA

Baatoonigoonga wrote:

I recently drove to Riyadh and back to Dubai.  If you are going with your family, I would not recommend that you plant to stay overnight.  Riyadh to UAE border is 8 to 10 hrs drive. If you leave early morning say 5 to 6 am you can reach dubai safely by 7 to 8 pm . Besides u will be in UAE in the day time for sure. 
I drove straight to Kharaj.  This road is two hours short in duration, however, requires some experience to drive, as the road is two lanes only. Heavy traffic.  Few Petrol pumps on the way, no street lights, and camels crossings in between.  If you have a good car, and u plan to drive in the day time, this is shorter route.
At borders, it will take hardly 30 minutes, if you are with your wife/kids, otherwise, expect longer times :)
Before saudi border and right after UAE border, u can find roadside hotels/ petrol pumps, but again, they are not "MOTELS"...
Good luck and have a safe journey...

Copy paste the link below:-
https://maps.google.ae/maps?hl=en&ie=UT … CAoQ-A8wAA

Thanks for the information. How much it took you to abu dhabi? what was ur average speed?
I see many people mentioning to take dammam highway and taking exit to GCC countires, then taking road that bypass hafof
and some people saying to go to east tring road opt for kharj and then proceed..
Comments from someone who has tried both routes will be highly appreciated?

It took me about 8 hrs to reach Riyadh after crossing Abudhabi with average speed of 130 km/hr.  If you opt for Riyadh-Kharaj-UAE road this is the recommended speed.
One of my cousin has just came from hafoof side, its a nice proper highway with 3/4 lanes on each side.  I avoid it because of 2 hrs extra I had to drive...but its obviously much safer, and relaxing drive. 
As i Said before, if you are a seasoned driver, have a good car, and can drive in the day time, u can opt for kharj side, otherwise, safe way is the Hafouf one...
Just a piece of advice, before you go

Code:

1. Change Oil (Engine/Brake/Gears}
2. Check your tyres, brake pads
3. Radiator water
4. Take extra bottles of radiator water, Brake oil
4a. Buy a fuel refill bottle and fill it with normal water--keep it handy.
5. If its an old car, keep extra pair of belts, Engine/Timing belt.
6. Simple tool box, a torch with extra batteries
7. A small icebox that can fit in front or reat
8. ice available easily on petrol pumps, just load some juices/soda cans / water/ cheese/creams/butter/bread etc and no need to stop for proper lunch
9. first aid box - or atleast keep bandage tapes, small dettol,cotton buds
10. if you like tea, purchase a thermos, teabags, tea, disposable cups, spoons and enjoy the hot tea without stopping :idontagree:
11. Buy a map or navigator - if u already have a tested navigaotor, then its fine, if u intend to buy a new one, keep a hard copy of map too.. sometimes these navigators are the real culprit in misguiding you!!
Baatoonigoonga wrote:

It took me about 8 hrs to reach Riyadh after crossing Abudhabi with average speed of 130 km/hr.  If you opt for Riyadh-Kharaj-UAE road this is the recommended speed.
One of my cousin has just came from hafoof side, its a nice proper highway with 3/4 lanes on each side.  I avoid it because of 2 hrs extra I had to drive...but its obviously much safer, and relaxing drive. 
As i Said before, if you are a seasoned driver, have a good car, and can drive in the day time, u can opt for kharj side, otherwise, safe way is the Hafouf one...
Just a piece of advice, before you go

Code:

1. Change Oil (Engine/Brake/Gears}
2. Check your tyres, brake pads
3. Radiator water
4. Take extra bottles of radiator water, Brake oil
5. If its an old car, keep extra pair of belts, Engine/Timing belt.
6. Simple tool box, a torch with extra batteries
7. A small icebox that can fit in front or reat
8. ice available easily on petrol pumps, just load some juices/soda cans / water/ cheese/creams/butter/bread etc and no need to stop for proper lunch
9. first aid box - or atleast keep bandage tapes, small dettol,cotton buds
10. if you like tea, purchase a thermos, teabags, tea, disposable cups, spoons and enjoy the hot tea without stopping :idontagree:
11. Buy a map or navigator - if u already have a tested navigaotor, then its fine, if u intend to buy a new one, keep a hard copy of map too.. sometimes these navigators are the real culprit in misguiding you!!

Oh thanks here comes the valuable news that Hafouf way is longer but safe where as Kharj is short yet not very safe.

any how, I have a brand new accord and we are just two and I will be travelling during the day only.

Tips from you and all EBs are v helpful for all.
as for navigator, ma planing to buy tomtom and use it on my ipad/iphone in parallel.

In case i will keep my car in Saudi border, is there any car rental facilities in UAE border?, or taxi.

Hi, We are driving from Riyadh. We will start our journey at 3pm Riyadh time. So it will be very late night by the time we reach UAE border. My question is, is there any time limit/schedule for the border close? Is the UAE border 24/7 open? In case of any problem can we stay in any hotel nearby Saudi/UAE border location?

Yes it's 24/7 open, and yes you can find a lot of motels nearby just ask the custom for direction they'll be will to help. Safe trip.

how would a border close? lol. wow

Hi can you help me to know how use visa is applied if you want to go by road . As the new site doest mention the port of entry from baths border . It only mentions other ports of dubai .