Road rules...

Just wondering if it's legal to turn right at a red light ? I've noticed that some Vietnamese stop and some go through the red light when turning right...

Just wondering if it's legal to turn right at a red light ? I've noticed that some Vietnamese stop and some go through the red light when turning right...
-@panda7

Legally, only if its signposted or a green arrow. Many VNs do turn right on motorbikes, but not in cars. In the south its very common to turn right at a red light if riding a motorbike.

"Lieutenant Colonel Huynh Trung Phong, Deputy Head of the Road and Railway Traffic Police Department (PC67, Ho Chi Minh City Police) said that according to the 2008 Road Traffic Law, when the traffic light turns red, drivers in traffic must stop."

Hilarious

-@panda7

Legally, only if its signposted or a green arrow. Many VNs do turn right on motorbikes, but not in cars. In the south its very common to turn right at a red light if riding a motorbike.

"Lieutenant Colonel Huynh Trung Phong, Deputy Head of the Road and Railway Traffic Police Department (PC67, Ho Chi Minh City Police) said that according to the 2008 Road Traffic Law, when the traffic light turns red, drivers in traffic must stop."
-@colinoscapee

^^^This!^^^

I'd be happy if they'd even look left for oncoming before turning right!

-@panda7

-@colinoscapee

^^^This!^^^

I'd be happy if they'd even look left for oncoming before turning right!
-@Aidan in HCMC

They only look in the direction they are going, so, looking left to them is not required.

-@panda7

so funny. i almost fell off my chair.

"road rules" and " Vietnam" is an oxymoron.

the main 'road rule' is that there isn't any much.

Vietnamese will use any inch of road not occupied regardless of where it is (this applies particularly to HCMC).

Their driving behaviour is mainly an attitude of whatever they think they can get away with.

The traffic police are almost entirely invisible all the time. not quite sure what they do most of the time except stay in their office and drink coffee. surprising me a lot actually because the amount they could make in bribes for blatant 'road rule' violations would earn them millions a day. Maybe someone else can explain that?

Yet on the other hand, Vietnamese bike drivers are incredibly tolerant of the errant behaviour of others that would provoke continual constant examples of road rage in other countries. Cars not so much much - they think having a car makes them so much more important and them arrogant.

@panda7

Road rules??? You either just arrived in Vietnam or you're a comedian.

cheers

@panda7

cheers
-@jodocus

1f923.svg1f602.svg

@panda7

cheers
-@jodocus

Well now to be fair, Panda7 did ask, "Just wondering if it's legal to turn right at a red light?", and as Colinoscapee replied, no, it is not.

So yes, there are road rules.

Are the rules (i.e. traffic laws) enforced? Again, yes they are, though it is painfully obvious that insufficient resources are allocated to adequately ensure compliance.

When resources are utilized, however, the police are quite adept/efficient at either issuing formal citations, or in  ̶m̶i̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶  soliciting on-the-spot payment at a lesser cost than the official citation/ticket.

In the 5 years since arriving in VN, I have been stopped about a dozen times. Often justifiably.

Newly arrived tourists/travelers/expats are encouraged to research and follow VN traffic laws.

Stay safe.

post_image.traffic-police-in-vietnam.jpg

Typical 250cc Honda of the CSGT

and

NOT your typical CSGT bike duo

1401_police-5.jpg?rt=20201008134026

-@panda7

Motorbikes, not cars:

In 7 years I have never seen a motorbike stop at a red light, wait, then turn right when the light turned green (or turned off).

I assume it is culturally acceptable and expected to turn right on red.

If according so some expats' interpretation of Vietnamese motor vehicle code that Right-Turning-On-Red is illegal , then the proper course when you need to turn right is to stay out of the right lane and gutter so as to give berth to dozens of drivers who follow custom.

@Aidan in HCMC multiple times I have witnessed the unfortunate results of moto drivers turning right without even a cursory glance to the left. One on me way to work in hcmc was so horrendous it ruined my entire day. However I'm certain much less than the moto driver's day(s).

-@panda7

Motorbikes, not cars:
In 7 years I have never seen a motorbike stop at a red light, wait, then turn right when the light turned green (or turned off).

I assume it is culturally acceptable and expected to turn right on red.

If according so some expats' interpretation of Vietnamese motor vehicle code that Right-Turning-On-Red is illegal , then the proper course when you need to turn right is to stay out of the right lane and gutter so as to give berth to dozens of drivers who follow custom.
-@gobot

I believe both motorbikes, and cars.

"...when the traffic light turns red, drivers in traffic must stop."

Me? Yeah, I turn right at reds on my bike, but going against custom I do look left, first.

:)

@Aidan in HCMC multiple times I have witnessed the unfortunate results of moto drivers turning right without even a cursory glance to the left. One on me way to work in hcmc was so horrendous it ruined my entire day. However I'm certain much less than the moto driver's day(s).
-@River Frogs

I'm sure it put a dent in any potential acquaintance, rough starting as it was LOL

Just wondering as insurance companies will find any loophole they can not to pay. So if you get clipped turning right through a red light they probably wont cover you given that it is apparently illegal to turn right at a red light in Vietnam.

@Panda

Grab some popcorn this is going to be fun...

@panda7

Okay, I'll bite.

Who is the insurer?

Just wondering as insurance companies will find any loophole they can not to pay. So if you get clipped turning right through a red light they probably wont cover you given that it is apparently illegal to turn right at a red light in Vietnam.
-@panda7

Who is getting clipped, you,the bike rider?

-@panda7

-@colinoscapee

You as the bike rider turning illegally right through a red light...

All insurance companies. If you are breaking the law in any way whatsoever you wont be covered.

-@panda7

-@colinoscapee
You as the bike rider turning illegally right through a red light...

All insurance companies. If you are breaking the law in any way whatsoever you wont be covered.
-@panda7

Do you really think a VN bike rider is going to stop and exchange insurance details?

@colinoscapee no, but your insurance company will cover your medical bills provided you were doing nothing illegal. For eg you could swerve to avoid oncoming traffic and drop the bike on your own accord...if you drop it in the normal course of action you will be covered but if you are moving through a red light probably not. 

Do you really think a VN bike rider is going to stop and exchange insurance details?
-@colinoscapee

Well seeing the only way someone would hit you is through NOT LOOKING then highly likely you didn't see who it was anyway as you bounce off the road.

@colinoscapee no, but your insurance company will cover your medical bills provided you were doing nothing illegal. For eg you could swerve to avoid oncoming traffic and drop the bike on your own accord...if you drop it in the normal course of action you will be covered but if you are moving through a red light probably not.
-@panda7

If you are driver, medical bills only covered IF you have a correct licence to drive in VN

Many tourist hire and find out the hard way.

Are you on a 30 day e-visa? If so do you have correct bike licence, if not then no medical insurance.

Perhaps VinFast (flush with profits from USA sales) could sponsor public education campaign in Vietnam ... with purpose of reducing traffic deaths and injuries

-@panda7

Does the insurance company have someone following you with a video recorder.

Perhaps VinFast (flush with profits from USA sales) could sponsor public education campaign in Vietnam ... with purpose of reducing traffic deaths and injuries
-@Friday with Mateo

Sales? Have they delivered any electric cars yet? I only see they are taking $200 reservations on the website. Haven't yet broken ground yet for the new factory in Chatham Country North Carolina. I was quite surprised to see a new Vinfast showroom under construction in an upscale mall in Corte Madera Calif in May. Seems very premature, cart before the horse.

Vinfast Chatham Country Official News

Traffic police are extremely active collecting bribes for this kind of petty stuff on the highway along the border between HCM and Binh Duong.  I was shocked when I first saw them stopping Vietnamese people for turning right onto the highway at a major intersection (this intersection isn't even clearly marked and most of the highway is still under construction so signage changes by the month.  A few weeks later they stopped me for making a right turn at a GREEN RIGHT TURN ONLY ARROW... because I didn't signal.  The rules, whatever they may be, are not relevant.  They stop you, you must pay.  Best not to carry more than half a mil on you when driving...

-@Friday with Mateo

Sales? Have they delivered any electric cars yet? I only see they are taking $200 reservations on the website. Haven't yet broken ground yet for the new factory in Chatham Country North Carolina. I was quite surprised to see a new Vinfast showroom under construction in an upscale mall in Corte Madera Calif in May. Seems very premature, cart before the horse.

Vinfast Chatham Country Official News
-@gobot

Quang knows what he is doing, multinational conglomerate, putting Viet Nam on the map as an dominate emerging vehicle Car and motorbike manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinFast

MAc

Traffic police are extremely active collecting bribes for this kind of petty stuff on the highway along the border between HCM and Binh Duong. I was shocked when I first saw them stopping Vietnamese people for turning right onto the highway at a major intersection (this intersection isn't even clearly marked and most of the highway is still under construction so signage changes by the month. A few weeks later they stopped me for making a right turn at a GREEN RIGHT TURN ONLY ARROW... because I didn't signal. The rules, whatever they may be, are not relevant. They stop you, you must pay. Best not to carry more than half a mil on you when driving...
-@telescopicPuma

24 Sept 2022:

Wife and I came within a hairs breath of getting gravely injured by a woman entering on a right turn she was not even, hell no! ... w/o even looking. If it were not for a split second of timing. We had no time to yield, ...MY arm going out to the idiot driver in front of her face, if not for my yelling at her, we surely would have become in trouble. SO, whatever the reason the Traffic Police are doing this, it remains that it could/should serve as reminders to look before turning thus. The problem resides with lack of courtesy, training, or even fear of injury on the part many Vietnamese motorbike riders. While in HCMC some weeks ago, (on a rented motorbike) we witnessed in real time several such entanglements. Two examples of which, one turned left, from the wrong side of the street, the other turning right, (And the general expectation of playing 'chicken' to see who yields first.) I remember someone posted something about "and when you stop screaming" ... earlier on some other thread.

So, tell me where I am wrong, enlighten me.

MAc

@Mac68

I clearly understand your concerns. After 16 years driving both motos and autos in Vietnam I've arrived at two realizations, doubtfully the chaotic driving style will change, and it's dangerous. And this took years accepting.

I'm now training myself to be aware of young kids driving the new electric scooters. They're silent. Normally when noticing one in my mirror, I slow down and allow them to pass. And should I be involved in an accident and technically not responsible, legally I'd be found responsible. As simple as that. I have a simple plan, avoid injuries. Me selfishly on top of the list.

Bigger concern, these youngsters will eventually move onto larger and faster motos with the same driving style.

OK, a moment of frankness. I still struggle accepting the local driving style, but less than before.

I guess this sent???

@Mac68

I'm really not sure if there is any truth to a couple of things which were told to me a couple of years back, but it was stated that in the event of a collision, it will always be judged to be the fault of the larger vehicle. So, a bicycle hits a pedestrian, bicycle's fault. Scooter hits bicycle, scooter's fault. "Big Bike" (motorcycle) hits scooter, motorcycle's fault. Car hits.... You get the picture.

And of course there is the fact that there are no STOP signs on the public roadways. None! Where we in the west have four-way-stops, here they have four-way-go intersections (or, no-way-stops). This lack of STOP signs only encourages people to turn right at intersections, as there is no obligation to stop.

I was also told, and again I have no verification of this, that if indeed you do hit someone who has just turned right (and into your path) off of a side street, that it would be your fault. Why, you might ask? Because you were going too fast to stop. To my western mind and driving style, this seems to be twisted logic, but as I think more about it I sort of, maybe, kinda understand where they are coming from. I mean afterall, there is no STOP sign.

Also, it doesn't help that many people you see on the road do not even have a valid driver's license, and if they do it will be an A1 (under 175cc) which requires no written test, no road rules knowledge, and as a road test you are reqired to simply do a figure-8 without touching the road with your foot.

And yet, it works (sort'a)

I've been in the ER of a Vietnamese hospital helping a friend. The doc said for every 10 that come in only 1 leaves...

Well, geez this says a lot. My biggest concerns are still the same. We chose to be here. All of us. Must possibly then suffer consequences of our choices.

MAc

I've been in the ER of a Vietnamese hospital helping a friend. The doc said for every 10 that come in only 1 leaves...
-@panda7

That's because it is very, very expensive (for them) to go to emergency. For every ten he sees, there are 1,000 he doesn't.

A VN has to be badly fff'ed up before they'll go to emerg. Very badly.

One city alone, Saigon, has on average 3+ traffic fatalities.

Each and every day.

Well, geez this says a lot. My biggest concerns are still the same. We chose to be here. All of us. Must possibly then suffer consequences of our choices.
MAc
-@Mac68

No complaints from me. I ride like a VN.

In fact if I ever do repatriate, my great fear is that I'll import my now adopted driving style back home with me.

I just spent the last month traveling 3200 km across france on vacation where everyone in general followed the strict road rules and u cannot buy a police man there. Now i have to get back into the traffic wild west of vietnam .

@SergGugu

Saddle up!

:)

@SerGugu

With your interests listed as "Dog scuba diving" - after wrestling the dog into the scuba gear, driving here should be a piece of cake for you. IMO

I forgot put a comma between them but yes it would a breeze hahaha

@Aidan in HCMC

i am leaving tomorrow for another week in italy that will be also interesting driving hahaha