Updated 2 years ago

Can your pet travel with you to Cambodia? If so, what are the related conditions? Find out in this article.

If you have a dog or a cat, and you are planning to move to Cambodia, you will probably have queries regarding pet import. In general, your pet can travel with you as Cambodia is very welcoming towards them. However, it has to meet some criteria. Therefore, it is best to inquire about these with Cambodian authorities before proceeding.


Your pet can either travel with you in the hold or through a specialized pet travel agency. However, pet travel agencies can be quite expensive, especially when additional costs are claimed. Thus, you are advised to seek all required information with your carrier, including your pet's travel conditions.


First of all, your pet has to be equipped with an electronic identification microchip which complies with ISO 11784 or Annex A to ISO 11785 standards. If the microchip has been fitted much earlier, your pet's own scanner has to be attached on the upper part of its travel cage.

Your pet also has to be vaccinated against rabies which, in fact, is the only compulsory pet vaccination required to enter the country. In the case of a first rabies vaccination, it must be carried out in accordance with the protocol. Hence, the vaccine's effectiveness has to be tested by an approved laboratory, especially if you come from a European Union country.

A rabies vaccination certificate then has to be issued, specifying the microchip details, the vaccination date and validity period, etc. Note that some vaccines are valid for two years while others are valid for a year only.


The rabies vaccine has to be administered after the pet has been equipped with the identification microchip.

Health certificate

Your pet's veterinarian has to issue a pet health certificate in accordance with existing regulations in your home country not more than 10 days before the scheduled date of travel.

In case of illness

In case of illness, you can take your pet to the Phnom Penh Animal Welfare Society (PPAWS) which can refer you to a licensed veterinary. Note that the capital city also hosts a European veterinary clinic.

 Useful links:

Expat.com – Pets in Cambodia Forum 
PPAWS www.ppaws.com
Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries – Department of Animal Health and Production dahp.maff.gov.kh

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.