Amateur Radio Inquiry

G'Day Everyone,

I currently am in Brisbane, Australia waiting for the chance to get over there as soon as the restrictions have been lifted.

I am also an Amateur Radio Operator (VK4CCV) and will be transferring my License across once I get over there.

I was going to move my radio equipment over but I am hearing that it prohibited. There will also be a chance where I will purchase some new equipment.  I was talking to DX Engineering in the US about buying a new FTdx101MD, but they are a bit reluctant to send due to these regulations.

My question is:  Are there equipment provides in the Philippines that I can purchase the gear through?

Pete

Fritzables wrote:

G'Day Everyone,

I currently am in Brisbane, Australia waiting for the chance to get over there as soon as the restrictions have been lifted.

I am also an Amateur Radio Operator (VK4CCV) and will be transferring my License across once I get over there.

I was going to move my radio equipment over but I am hearing that it prohibited. There will also be a chance where I will purchase some new equipment.  I was talking to DX Engineering in the US about buying a new FTdx101MD, but they are a bit reluctant to send due to these regulations.

My question is:  Are there equipment provides in the Philippines that I can purchase the gear through?

Pete

CQ DX de DU/W9XR

If Australia has a reciprocal licensing with the Philippines your ticket is good here. If you are really interested you might contact PARA (Philippine Amateur Radio Society), also you would be lucky if they answer your emails.

After looking at all the red tape, I gave up the idea of operating here. It was suggested to me to join PARA otherwise you're just spinning your wheels. All your equipment serial numbers will be on your operators license, as each has to be licensed.

My wifes cousin had a license years ago and each serial number was on the license. I've been here three years and yet to see a HF Antenna. I think all the activity is on two meters and higher.

The way I understand it, if you want a real DU call, you have to attend PARA classes.

Also I reached out to many Philippine hams and only had two answer my emails. I think maybe they are using illegal equipment by not having a license for them even though they have an operating & station license.

I've search the web for HF Gear in the Philippines and came up empty. Even the simplest things available in Australia or in the states is not available here.

I was quite active in the states operating many contests from the late W3GH.

If you talk to DX Engineering again ask to speak to Tim K3LR (CEO). Tim is a personal friend of mine and tell him "Spike, Dr. Bafoofnik" sends his regards. He and I have been friends 25  years.

73, W9XR

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Fritzables wrote:

CQ DX de DU/W9XR

If Australia has a reciprocal licensing with the Philippines your ticket is good here. If you are really interested you might contact PARA (Philippine Amateur Radio Society), also you would be lucky if they answer your emails.

After looking at all the red tape, I gave up the idea of operating here. It was suggested to me to join PARA otherwise you're just spinning your wheels. All your equipment serial numbers will be on your operators license, as each has to be licensed.

My wifes cousin had a license years ago and each serial number was on the license. I've been here three years and yet to see a HF Antenna. I think all the activity is on two meters and higher.

The way I understand it, if you want a real DU call, you have to attend PARA classes.

Also I reached out to many Philippine hams and only had two answer my emails. I think maybe they are using illegal equipment by not having a license for them even though they have an operating & station license.

I've search the web for HF Gear in the Philippines and came up empty. Even the simplest things available in Australia or in the states is not available here.

I was quite active in the states operating many contests from the late W3GH.

If you talk to DX Engineering again ask to speak to Tim K3LR (CEO). Tim is a personal friend of mine and tell him "Spike, Dr. Bafoofnik" sends his regards. He and I have been friends 25  years.

G'Day Bob,

Thanks for your response.
Yea, I do think Aussie does have a affiliation with the Philippines, so I need to ask the question I guess.
I did send an email to PARA and they did respond within 24 hours.   They have sent me a form where I need to complete and it has an area to place Serial Numbers.

I guess the question now is, what equipment do I need to Serialise.  Is it just equipment capable of transmitting, or does it include things like Antenna Tuners and USB Interfaces?

I did do a Google search regarding HF in the Philippines and as you have also found....  ZIP !!

So, it looks like I need to keep what I have here and bring it across with me. Bit of a hassle but if it needs to be done.....

I will be living on Camotes Island off Cebu, on a farm.  I have built a house there already (just finished the build today actually), so putting up a full length dipole for 160 with some height should be a problem.  Looking forward to some exotic DX if it's available.

So, if I have an Advanced License here in VK and expect to get a Class-A License there, I need to attend a course??

Anyway Buddy, looking forward to your  response.

Take Care

73's VK4CCV