N. American TV in Philippines

Hi all.  Anyone have experience with ways to watch N. American (U.S. or Canada) tv channels while in Philippines. I have heard of something called a slingbox but not sure if that works well or not. Have also heard about streaming services via internet rather than cable or satellite but again, not sure how well those work in Philippines.  Thanks!

If you have a reasonable internet connection then buy an Android TV box, Minix U1 is a good one, then you have to download and install 2 different apps, one is called Mobdro and the other one  is LiveNetTV. Assuming your already paying for internet connection all it will cost you is the price of the Android TV box, around 6 to 7k pesos, You can buy online at either Lazada or Shopee and they both do cash on delivery.

Thanks Findlay MacD. I will definitely look into that.

I have a PLDT 50 mbps fibre connection and besides very fast internet on my computer live streaming TV over the internet works great, it costs P2899 per month but when you consider you don't have to pay for cable TV I think it's worth it.

Thanks.  Not sure if fiber is available in the area we are building (Tarlac City) but if so it would be great. Sounds like 50 Mbs via fiber is working well for you. Coax cable would be somewhat slower but should still be acceptable.  Just finishing up architectural for the house prior to starting construction so will look into the internet situation in the next while.  Thanks for your help!

jwschmidt wrote:

Thanks.  Not sure if fiber is available in the area we are building (Tarlac City) but if so it would be great. Sounds like 50 Mbs via fiber is working well for you. Coax cable would be somewhat slower but should still be acceptable.  Just finishing up architectural for the house prior to starting construction so will look into the internet situation in the next while.  Thanks for your help!

Be sure to wire that puppy with the latest and greatest cabling available.

Thanks Munchie. I did some checking and fiber optic cable is available to the lot so will have that for tv and internet service. All interior internet wiring will be Cat6. I assume some interior coax cabling will be involved also. Will keep an eye on the brand/origin/quality of the Cat6 and coax the builder plans to use to ensure it is the latest and greatest as you mentioned. Thanks again.