Psychiatric meds

Hello all. I'm looking to find out how difficult it is to secure psyche meds in the Philippines. Here in Cambodia I just ask for them from a large pharmacy . So these are my questions.
1) do I have to get a prescription ?
2) how expensive are they?
If anyone could give me a heads up I'd be thankful. Oh I'm on a anti psychotic called risperidone. I read something about a s2 class.but it baffled me. Cheers

Go to a reputable physician or shrink usually in his/her office close to or in a larger better hospital (not prov. ones), tell him/her your story, ask for prescription and presto. It seems to have no time limit and so can usually be used forever as long as it's readable. The doctor's office staff will charge you 200-500 pesos for the visit, and off you go. In the Phils, I learned to stay away from the generic pharmacies, and go to either Mercury or Rose Pharmacy, or the ones connected to the hospital. Depending on where you are living in the Phils will determine what hospital and what quality service you will get. If you are a senior, esp. with a retiree's visa from PRA (not the main BI), then you can ask for a senior's discount. It's quite likely your meds will cost a fair bit, but have to ask for find out cost. In Canada, for instance, everything oddly has to go through one's physician for a capsule-limited prescription, but here, it's a one-time stop and just use the same prescription over and over again. So this all comes down to cost. Before buying, you might try both pharmacies to see what one is least expensive, and sometimes their generics are good, but my hbp meds were not trustworthy, and so now buy the most expensive in the hopes they work. GL

The drug in question has serious possible side effects and should only be prescribed by a doctor.
The only reasonable suggestion is a trip to the doctor's surgery

Thanks guys, I have been taking it consistently for three years now and while there were side effects originally ( weight gain , swelling in one leg ) my body has seemed to have readjusted. My meds cost me 21 u s dollars a month here in Cambodia. So I think I might call a leading pharmacy in the Philippines to find out what they'll be before I commit to heading over. Thanks again

Could this be correct. I asked mercury pharmacy how much a months supply of risperidone is going to cost me. They sent me a single itemized price list and it had 4mg risperidone 30...........qty 1 ,209 php. What confused me is the 30 after the 4mg, then it said quantity one. So it's either cheap as chips, 209 pesos. For 120 mg for the month. Or as dear as poison 209 pesos for one 4mg tablet. 209 pesos is about 7 aud and thirty times that makes about 210 Australian dollars per month. Which is more likely to be real. If it's 210 I'm way better off here in Cambodia, if it's 7 dollars full steam ahead to Cebu. Any thoughts guys?

I would think by the way it's written, that it's 209 for 30 - 4mg pills totaling 1 - 30 day supply. Or around 7 ph per pill. I could be wrong though, as I've noticed that pharmacies here have a strange way of doing things.
Who knows without actually seeing their price chart.

I actually rang one of their branches this morning and they could only give me a quote on a two mg tablet. That was sixty pesos. It out around 100 Australian dollars a month. It's reasonable, here in Cambodia I can get it for 21.60U.S. I have some savings so I might visit the Philippines for a couple of months and find out just how cheaply I can live there. I read the other day that you can live on non tourist island for about three hundred US a month. That would offset the price of my meds. Thanks for the response

Good luck with that one. I don't know about $300 a month. That pretty much poverty level here. I sure as heck couldn't do it. Hahaha

Right. Mercury quoted me 60 pesos per 2mg tablet and rose quoted me 45 pesos per 2mg tablet. I spoke to mercury first by email and they said 209 0 pesos for a 4mg tablet. I then spoke them by phone and it was a muffled conversation but I did get 60 pesos. It wasn't until I spoke to a rose consultant that she stated it was 45 pesos per tablet. So it's gone from 210 aud to 120 aud to a more manageable 76 aud for a months supply. I might be coming to the Philippines. Yay. Thanx

Just as long as I got my coke and smokes and of course my meds, I'm happy :)