Looking for information regarding a retirement move to Costa Rica.

Hello all,

I am a Couple of years from retirement and just now starting to look at my options on where I retire to. I currently live in the Dallas, Texas area.

Are there area's in Costa Rica where I can find a community of North Americans?

I'm in the same situation.  I found a website you might want to visit (I have no affiliation - it's just good info).  It's ARCR or Association Of Residents of Costa Rica.  They are in San Jose and offer Seminars that I plan to attend that hopefully will answer a lot of my questions.  They apparently also have lawyers and others who specialize in helping people like us who are looking to move to CR.  I've only been there once (in Jan 2019), but plan to retire there in a few years.

Welcome to forum folks.
I recommend using ARCR for information, but I personally would not use their attorneys etc for residency and so on.

Also don't jump right in to residency or into moving here at all until you've spent months living here, renting. While here look at various areas and then rent in the one you think you would like to most to live in. If you decide to move here I'd still live here for at least 6 months before applying for residency. Many people become residents then move back to the USA.

There are many reasons people move back but mostly it's just the different way of doing things here, the different way people think and act, the various forms of bureaucracy, the lack of Spanish speaking skills for you the expat, and so on. Some site bugs, some site weather... depending on where you move to, these may or may not be an issue.

You're doing the right thing by researching online first. Then come for an extended visit to see how it really is (2-3 months at least, ideally, renting a house, having to bank, buy stuff in stores, buy groceries, and so on.

Then remember that once you're a legal resident, and if you own a car,  you will get to pay marchamo, and take your car through RTV inspection every year, pay private car insurance, buy expensive gas, file papers of various kinds with the government here, stand in line at banks, pay the required monthly fee and use CAJA health insurance, and other fun things.

Is it worth it?
For some of us yes, for others no. One thing for sure: it's different than any place in the USA.
That's why you need to come here for months and check it out thoroughly before you move here, and don't even think about buying until you know the area well.

I live in Tamarindo, on the Pacific coast. There is a strong community of former Canadian and US people. Depending on the sort of home you're seeking, real estate here is still affordable, whether buying or renting, particularly if you establish yourself in one of the nearby towns that is not beachside.   

But the best thing, as someone has suggested, is to travel to Costa Rica, and try on various places for a good while before committing to any one spot. Learn about the people, banking, getting groceries, recreation and costs of all. See how you fit in and how it fits for you.

I'd be coming from Canada, and the prices for things are pretty comparable from my limited knowledge.  The big unknown for my wife and I is where to settle.  We have to balance safety, weather, rent prices, proximity to services etc. 

Can I ask why you don't recommend ARCR for lawyers etc.?  Seems convenient - one stop shop.  Thanks for any advice!

I know many people who have dealt with ARCR and were very pleased.