New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello Costa Rica from Canada
I’m an artist looking to move to Costa Rica. I specialize in Architectural renderings, airbrushing and watercolours. My other passion is project management in construction and architecture drafting (AutoCAD). Ideally I would love to teach art skill to whoever is looking to learn art and a variety of mediums. Any tips are welcomed. I retire in four years but could move to Costa Rica sooner if an opportunity comes up.
Thanks for any input you can share.

Hello,
We r Loreta & Florin,59, Canadian and UE citizens,residing in Alberta,Canada,planning to early retire to Panama/Costa Rica, however we prefer to try Costa Rica .
We r looking for a temperate climate as  , cannot stand extreme temperatures, but proximity to beach will be desirable.
Any suggestions or experiences regarding this,climate,relocating,budget ,health insurance, r welcomed.
Than You in advance,
Florin,Edmonton. AB,CA

I am Josef, 55, living in Boston hoping to retire later this year and have had my eye on Costa Rica for some time now. I am not married and do not have children which I hope should allow me to live somewhat simply there. I hope to find a place somewhere in the Central Valley around Atenas, but not fixated on that area. I need to be relatively close to medical access as I have unfortunately run into some problems over the past few years, though all is well under control at this time. Any information you have regarding insurance (I know about Caja) especially insurance to use the private hospitals such as Catolica. I need to keep an eye on coronary artery disease, check ups for cancer, dermatology for a run in recently with some basal cell carcinomas and kidney stones. Fun, fun line up, but all under control right now. Worse comes to worse I may set up legal residence in Houston or San Antonio and maintain insurance there while living abroad so I might just mostly need check ups. If you have any of the above problems and experience with the system, please let me know.

59 male looking at retiring outside the USA. Costa Rica is attractive from what little searching I have done.

Are there area's of the country where North Americans reside other than the hot vacation spots?

Hola!  Alan currently living in Florida, US of A.
Greetings to you all.
I am interested in hearing from those of you "in-the-know" about what is involved with getting resident status?
I also would like to know about living in the higher elevations such as Lake Arenal?  What it is like, availability of purchasing property, if there are other areas in Costa Rica where there is a nearby lake or river?
I will be following this website and looking forward to your input in the days, months and years ahead.
Gracias!
Alan

https://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-leg … d-summary/

https://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-leg … ents-2018/

I would suggest San Ramon.  Great temperature and lots of expats live here.  Grecia as well, but my preference is San Ramon - great town, markets, etc.    One popular place for expats in the central valley is Atenas.  Rented there once for a month but I didn't like it.  Too hot and the town isn't great.

alvpackman :

Hola!  Alan currently living in Florida, US of A.
Greetings to you all.
I am interested in hearing from those of you "in-the-know" about what is involved with getting resident status?
I also would like to know about living in the higher elevations such as Lake Arenal?  What it is like, availability of purchasing property, if there are other areas in Costa Rica where there is a nearby lake or river?
I will be following this website and looking forward to your input in the days, months and years ahead.
Gracias!
Alan

Welcome to the forum, Alan.
Suggest you ask specific questions in a new post on the main forum, not here as many members do not check this thread.

You have a wide array of options if you want to be near a river; not a lot of lakes as far as I know.
Lake Arenal is cooler, and cloudier than many areas, and rains more than some, less than others. Personally I'm not wild about it as a place to live. Far from everything, cool and cloudy/rainy. But to each his own. Some love it and that's why real estate there seems costly.

Getting residency, check the links or look for Outlier Legal via google. Generally it costs over $1500 per person if I recall, you need either a guaranteed pension as in Social Security for example, OR a buncha moola to be a rentista. Takes 6 mo. to 2 years to become a resident.

My suggestion is read a tour guide type book on Costa Rica and choose an area you think you'd like, come here to check it out in person, then rent here for at least 3-6 months before deciding to buy here.

Hi! I am currently living in Los Angeles, California and looking to move to Costa Rica late summer depending on Visa status. In Los Angeles, I am working as an Electrologist (permanent hair removal), a cater waiter, and have a Bachelors in Science. I am trying to figure out what direction to take with a career move in Costa Rica. I would love any assistance/information anyone can offer. If all goes as planned, I would be moving down with my dog ASAP. I love learning and being outdoors. I am so exciting to see (and live in) beautiful Costa Rica!

Hi Casey, I hate to tell you but you cannot work in Costa Rica at all until you are a permanent resident which takes 3-4 years plus cost, many documents etc. You are first a temporary legal resident then you can apply for permanent resident.
There are 3 types of permanent residency:

Now you COULD start a business but if I'm not mistaken that takes $100k investment or something like that, and still you cannot work at it yourself.  Not sure how much of a demand there is for electrolysis in Costa Rica but it would probably be in San Jose. You'd have to do research on the demand for this; but again you would not be able to work yourself, legally.

Not to mention that the pay/chargeable fees would be much lower than you are accustomed to.

Suggest you read the many threads on the forum and check out the link https://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-leg … d-summary/
... which says, in part:

"In order to work in Costa Rica you must either have Permanent Residency or have a specific work permit that allows you to work while on Temporary Status. Generally under Temporary Status you are not permitted to work for remuneration.

Getting work authorization is based upon the criteria developed by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security along with other criteria of the Department of Immigration.

Article 18 section (20) of the Immigration law authorizes the Immigration police to investigate the immigration status of foreign workers and they may “enter upon their place or work during business hours, check passports, residency status, work permits as well as any other identification document in order to determine any violations of the law.”

Also on that page is an explanation of how to become a legal resident. Hint: It requires a steady income such as a pension or a boat load of money to deposit in a CR bank.

Hi, all. My wife and I currently reside in Raleigh, North Carolina. We'll be traveling to Costa Rica for our first visit April 30 - May 15. Our primary goal is to scout out a couple of promising areas for retirement, which will happen somewhere in the next 2-7 years, depending.

We are targeting Grecia and Arenas, but will likely take a few scouting trips over the next couple of years before we make a "final" decision. I say "final", as we will likely rent and try out a few places before we make the move the settle permanently, if we decide to do so.

Another couple, here in Raleigh, will be joining us for the scouting trip. Hopefully, we all move together near the same time, although they are focusing more on the beach areas, instead of the Central Valley.

All of us are pretty easy going folks. We are coming to Costa Rica to learn about life there and if we fit in. We do not expect anyone to cater to us - we expect to assimilate. :)

I have questions, so I'm likely to start a few discussions. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Welcome and please post questions in new threads in the main forum.