Advice For 23yr old British Expat

Hello,

Loooking to get some advice and some opinions from some fellow expats.

I moved to America (Indianapolis, IN) from the UK (Beds and Herts area) roughly 10 years ago along with my dad, my sister, and my mum. I was 13 at the time and moved because of my mums work. I went to an International school for 5 years and graduated in 2013. After High School, my mum and sister moved back to the UK, and I stayed to study Graphic Design at Indiana Univeristy. I graduated in 2017, and along with lots of student debt, I aquired a long term relationship with a girl from my high school.

I've been out of Uni and employed in the real world for over a year now and my gf and I are thinking about moving back to the UK. A little about myself, I'm pursuing a career in Graphic Design and am considering going to grad school. I also play rugby at a high level in the US and am a professional guitarist.

I miss England a lot and I miss my family in the UK and Ireland. I feel like I have outgrown Indiana and although it is home to me at this point, I think a move would do me and my gf well. However, I'm hesitant to make the decision. I haven't properly lived in the UK since I was 13 and I'm worried I've become so accustomed to the facilities of American living that moving back will be too much of a culture shock.

Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear similar stories and any advice On how y'all dealt with making decisions like this.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I think the most significant thing when I returned to the UK from the US (albeit, I was a lot younger than you) was I just didn't fit in, I found everything to be a bit weird; even now, although we speak the same language, it is a totally different culture in the UK and I still find it weird.  Now, many years later, having lived and worked all over the world, I shall be leaving the UK for good in a couple of years time.

I don't think there's any simple answer, some Americans love it here, others can't wait to go back Stateside.  My sister hated the UK, returned to the US for 10-years, had an excellent job, but in the end decided to return to the UK because of a relationship, but is now contemplating returning to the US because the church here is just too different and she is unable to relate to her religion in the UK.

Technically, assuming you still have a UK passport, you can of course come and go as you please, to bring your girlfriend, you'll need to have been in a relationship (living together) for at least 2 years before she can apply; the details are contained on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team