Cell phone

Have you kept your cell phone and number with your server in your county. Or is it better to get a new phone and number in the Philippines. If your going to live there.

If your existing cell phone is not equipped to handle a dual sim card, pick up a new phone here in the Philippines (or elsewhere) with dual sum capability.  That way, you can maintain your existing number with your existing carrier, and also obtain a local prepaid sim card for local texting and phone calls.
After you are here in the Philippines, you will soon figure out which sim to use based on your phone plan and personal requirements. 
Different phone plans around the world offer many varying overseas options, so without knowing the details of your existing plan, this might be the answer you are looking for.  One last note and without getting technical on this forum;  if your US carrier is Verizon, then your existing phone and your sim card MAY not work here in the Philippines due to system incompatibilities...

I have Verizon in the states

Yes, I just edited my response above and added a line.  You may be out of luck here in the Philippines with your Verizon sim card.  CDMI technology is not compatible with GSM world wide networks..

Thank you my friend

I use a GSM phone that allows use of local SIM cards in countries in SE Asia and Europe. At home in the States that includes AT&T and T-Mobile.