Multicultural Family

Hello, My name is Jessica.  I am from the States.  My husband and I are considering taking a teaching job at an International school in China.  Our son is 14 and would attend the school.  We are a white couple with a black child (adopted).  I have some concerns in regards to entering the country, obtaining my son's dependent visa, and how our family may be treated.  This is sometimes an interesting  boat to navigate even in the states.  I just want to know if my fears are just fears or if they are validated. Thank you for responding with legitimate advice and/or experience.

I am from the states, and have lived in China for 15 years.

I have many stories to tell and much advice to give.

OK. I know that you are fearful of China. Do not be. I have a blog all about China. You can visit it and learn so much that will either scare you more, or calm you immensely.  Go  toit here.

As such, you also might want to visit this link HERE. Regards.

Thank you for responding!  I will check out your blog.

Shanghai has so many foreigners from different parts of the world, they don;t raise eyebrows like two decades ago when I first moved here.
Main factor to be considered during the move is your neighborhood
Most expat families live in what it's known as "The Expat Bubble" areas where most people around you are not locals and more likely would repatriate with 2-3 years.
I think it's a good start to live within one of those communities built around international school. Super convenient, easy to meet like minded people, no language barrier and I bet a good start for a teenage boy.
I live with the Jinqiao Bubble that includes Century Park, Biyun road Hongfeng road within short distance from Concordia Intl School, Dulwich, YCIS, japanese School and others.

Thank you so much!  This is very helpful information and much appreciated.

Good advice from Shanghaidriver.