People in Wuxi

Hi,
I recently moved to Wuxi to teach English and am looking to meet new people.
Lauren 😊

Hi Lauren,

I'm not presently living in Wuxi, but I have signed and secured a contract with a company there, if all goes well (Visa related) I'll be starting in a few months (fly out July, start August). I'm told I'll be located very near Jinkui Park.

This forum seems a fairly dead, but if you could share any useful information on Wuxi and/or your experience thus far I'd really appreciate it. I've previously lived and worked in Beijing, but obviously being a 1st tier city there were tons of friendly "expats" and it was quite easy to make new friends and find a good social circle straight away. Hopefully it will be similar in Wuxi, but with it being a far smaller city I'm not so sure.

:)

Hi,
Sorry I thought my reply sent. I have only been here a few weeks so don't have a great deal of experience but I will help as much as I can.
Wuxi is a very small city compared to Beijing so meeting people is alot harder I've found. People here speak very little English if any at all. I recommended learning Chinese if you don't know any.
The public transport isn't as good as Beijing as there is only 2 metro lines which only go to certain places. All the touristy places are further out of the city.
I hope this helps, if you wanna meet up when you arrive in Wuxi just drop me a message 😊

Thanks for the reply,
Ah yes I expected there would be a lot less foreigners in Wuxi. Also, it kind of sucks about the public transportation; I'll have to look into getting a scooter/electric motorbike or something to get around eventually. I was learning a little Mandarin whilst in Beijing, but I've read that Wuxi has it's own dialect that is not mutually intelligible with Mandarin, so I foresee that being a huge issue; since I won't be able to learn much at all here in Australia, or even be able use translation apps once I arrive.   :unsure

Anyways, good luck with everything there, I'm sure you'll get into the rhythm of the place in no time...and yes I will drop you a message once I've made the move and settled in.  :top:

Hey! I'll be there in August and looking forward to meeting new people!

Hi Lauren, I'm an expat living in Wuxi. I've been here a few weeks already but I found it really difficult to meet with other expats. I'll be really happy to meet you for a coffee if you would like :)

Greetings all:
I have accepted an offer from a school and am working on getting my visa. I expect to arrive early August. I've been to Hong Kong once. This will be my first employment venture outside the US. Looking forward to new experiences and meeting new people.

Any info on housing would be appreciated. Work is about 1/4 mile east of Jianjing Park.

Hi there, We are arriving in Wuxi in August. Would love to make contact with other expats in the area.

Hi, I'm Nicole, I'm living in wuxi, so we can meet each other if you want 😀

Hi there Lauren,

I moved to Wuxi from the UK about 2 weeks ago and am currently employed at the university. I saw your message and thought I would make a random contact ask are there any expat events happening around Wuxi or social groups to join? I realise you may not be here anymore and if so no problem.

Regards Mike

I see you are writing "I've read that Wuxi has it's own dialect that is not mutually intelligible with Mandarin". What I've seen and heard is that wu dialect still is mandaring but with some strange vocals and shortenings in the words. I would say that it is something like difference between London and Yorkshire. However, they are still able to speak clean mandarin in wuxi. I also met quite a lot of people that could speak some english. Especially amongst younger people. Also buses and subways actually got english texts indoor and on the busstops. I also saw some apps you could use on your smartphone to get somewhere else. If you get wifi somewhere you could also use google maps(well some of it). I beleive you are able to use ctrips app. I give some suggestions on wuxi-city .

wuxi is a wonderful city , my cousin lives there ,good luck with you

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the classifieds. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello lovely people!

I just moved to Wuxi. It is not my first time here, I've already visited three times for work but this time I've been relocated definitely and I'm eager to start learning things about the city (in my past visits I've barely had time to see something because I've been working)

It would be really nice to meet some people. This post is a year old but maybe there is still someone living around here....? You are free to contact me if you want to grab a beer of drink some coffee, although with the hot weather I prefer the first choice ;)

Best regards!

Hello Iam moving to Wuxi next month.

Lauren Game wrote:

Hi,
I recently moved to Wuxi to teach English and am looking to meet new people.
Lauren 😊

Anyone currently in wuxi still on this thread?

Hi my son is currently in Wuxi City (yanqiao) and looking for contact with other expats to help make the change easier. He is having some issues with his WeChat and WiFi so feeling a little isolated. Would appreciate any friendly communication from people close to hand.

Hi Everybody,

I'm moving to Wuxi in November and am looking to meet people for when I arrive and for any advice possible.
After reading the messages I think most of you should be in Wuxi about a couple of months now, what's it like? Is there a decent expat community? are the locals welcoming, outgoing etc?  Can you recommend any area to live in or not to live in? Anything you think could help me would be greatly appreciated and I'll get you a thank you beer when I arrive!

@Joel_Kennedy 

Hey, this is a long one to reply.  I am in a similar situation and looking to move there from Shanghai this year. Are you still there?

Hey all. I am looking to move to Wuxi this year, from Shanghai,  due to a very good offer I have received. It would be nice to chat with other expats. If anyone is still there, do you want to add WeChat?

@Harrison8189 hey friend its really cool to know you! I'm a local chinese and i grew up in an international environment and i love your culture, would be lovely to know more about you! we can chat on WeChat for further communications!
my WeChat is
dionynbw
@Harrison8189 hey friend its really cool to know you! I'm a local chinese and i grew up in an international environment and i love your culture, would be lovely to know more about you! we can chat on WeChat for further communications!
my WeChat is
dionynbw
@Lglen hey friend its really cool to know you! I'm a local chinese and i grew up in an international environment and i love your culture, would be lovely to know more about you! we can chat on WeChat for further communications!
my WeChat is
dionynbw

m living in wuxi ,chinese ,anyone who needs help or wanna know sth about this city can add my wechat: smiling_arthur