Getting Started

Hello,
My family (myself, wife & 3 kids) is looking to relocate from Canada to Costa Rica.
I'm wondering how easy and what are the steps necessary to move their permanently?
Also, because we would need to work still, how easy is it to find jobs?

Thanks....

SharkMan08
Canada

Unfortunately, you would not be permitted to physically work until a Permanent resident which will take approx 5 years from your initial application.

Suggest you also read the implications of becoming a 'non-resident of Canada for tax purposes'

Raising a family here, is not inexpensive as you will probably choose to enroll your children in a private, bilingual school.

With the low exchange rate on the Canadian dollar it will impact your budget.

Thanks for the info, I will look into this right away.

SharkMan08

Hello. I have many expat friends from Canada and the US whose kids are enrolled in public schools, no problem. Private schools tuition starts at $300+, add books, uniforms, and the etceteras all schools come out with; it becomes expensive for most of us.  Public schools in beach towns aren't that good, better in some of the Alajuela, Heredia and San Jose province cities.Getting a job is a problem but not impossible, see if you could land one with one of the many US companies operating here. I get job offers from many of them all the time, not sure how it will work for a nonresident but most of those companies bosses are not residents, they are foreigners. Now, what do you do? Can you work from home? I do.

Thanks for the info.
I do not work from home unfortunately. I run my own business as a professional aquarist. We take care of Aquariums in homes and offices as well as larger public aquariums such as those at Bass Pro Shops and Rainforest cafes.
So my skill set isn't exactly in high demand.

SharkMan08

I agree that once the student has learned a decent amount of Spanish, they could, if you wish, attend a local school, as some do this, especially if they have a Spanish speaking extended family like yours MauroN. Although as I have mentioned many times before, for your child to obtain credit for their education while in Costa Rica, they are required to attend an Internationally accredited school, which will be more expensive...