Expat Health Insurance

Hi there,

I'll move to Makati from March and I was wondering what health insurance other expats have in the Philippines.

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Happy New Year!

Gab

An expat liver is very different from a local liver, as is an expat leg and an expat heart, those differences meaning you have to have expat health insurance.
Wait until you experience an expat cold - so much more snot than colds locals get.
Yuk.

or ... see what insurance cover locals use as you'll probably find something just as good, but without the expat premiums.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your time and kind reply.
Are you insured? Any insurance companies/packages you can recommend?

Happy New Year!

GAB

I'm not in the Philippines but the same applies all over the world.
Expat insurers have tried to lift my leg many times, always with daft prices but my local insurance gives me plenty of cover in case of problems.

Thank you Fred!
I'll keep that in mind!
Have a good one!

I self insure, and figure what I do not use my wife will have as savings after I die.

I think that we all understand that the medical coverage in the Philippines is not the worlds best.  So if you are looking for first class medical coverage, then you would need to consider that you would have to go to Singapore.

I have not heard of Philippines medical insurance for individuals, I do know that there are some companies that take out group policies for their workers.  And then there is always Phil Health if you are eligible.

“Self insure”? Do you mean that you found a health insurance company and signed a contract by yourself?

GabDen wrote:

“Self insure”? Do you mean that you found a health insurance company and signed a contract by yourself?

Hi GabDen

I put money aside each year (after having started with a set amount) for my own insurance.  Then if I need medical work done I pay for it myself.

Pacific Cross, formerly Blue Cross is the only one I know that has very high coverage thus access to at least world class hospitals (e.g Makati Med, St. Lukes Hospital etc.)

For now, I also self insure myself since most of the policies that I researched here in the Philippines had too many exclusions and were overly expensive  or highly restrictive due to my age...
Lots of information on the internet for medical insurance.  However, my girl and I will visit the USA next month, but we will each have travel insurance good in the USA in case we are 'hit by a bus' and do not die ...
Without insurance in the USA, medical costs will bankrupt even the very rich!

https://www.pacificprime.com/questions/ … residence/https://www.regencyforexpats.com/?gclid … AqC28P8HAQhttp://fortunecare.com.ph/https://mariahealth.ph/?utm_source=goog … gLPIfD_BwEhttp://www.moneytalkph.com/health-insur … ilippines/

VERY HELPFUL LIST!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND KIND ANSWER!!

bob18 wrote:

For now, I also self insure myself since most of the policies that I researched here in the Philippines had too many exclusions and were overly expensive  or highly restrictive due to my age...
Lots of information on the internet for medical insurance.  However, my girl and I will visit the USA next month, but we will each have travel insurance good in the USA in case we are 'hit by a bus' and do not die ...
Without insurance in the USA, medical costs will bankrupt even the very rich!

Bob, look into a company called GeoBlue. They are US based but mainly cover overseas.

I too have looked at health insurance in the Philippines and you are right. Too many exclusions and stipulations. It's dizziying just trying to understand them. I know ppl who have used them and coverage is not good.

I also know ppl who self insure and seems to be a better way at least in the Philippines. If you are receiving USD, British Pounds, or any higher value currency it would be best to set an amount aside. It goes a long way to help cover health care expenses.

As to care itself, the Philippines actually has good hospitals. The new St Luke's and FEU hospitals for example. And the old standbys like Makati Med and Manila Doctors. There's also the Heart Center.

Basically, if you can afford to pay the premiums of health insurance in the Philippines I would say set those monies aside instead to.cover your health expenses if and when the time comes. I have yet to read of any expat who actually has health insurance coverage from a Philippine insurer.

Unfortunately, my experience with insurance brokers in the Philippines is not the best. The structure of their compensation is ridiculous! You might as well pay them to live high on the hog with their commissions while leaving you with nothing. For example, don't ever buy variable life insurance. Your just paying to support the broker.

Any insurance policy, whether it be Medical, Life or Travel, will be written with numerous multiple exclusions, which give the insurer a legal right to dismiss your claim even when you thought you had excellent coverage.   A fact.  Insurance companies hate paying for claims!  For example, if your medical claim is large, an insurance investigator will waste no resources checking  into your medical history for the sole purpose  of avoiding paying out the claim you have submitted!
Good advise is to not hide even the slightest medical detail of yourself in the insurance application and if you have any doubts,  get an accredited medical exam, before you  sign for the policy even if the insurance company does not require the same.
Since medical costs here in the Philippines are somewhat reasonable. an option for older expats (when the premiums are much higher)  is to put away the annual premium costs and deductible into a savings account and have the funds available for paying your own medical costs.
If you want to buy life insurance and can afford it, buy it for what it is.  That is, you want to provide funds for your family after you die or you become seriously disabled.  As pointed out in this forum, commissions and costs for these products are high!  There are much better savings plans available through larger Philippine banks and their investment arms. These products are more liquid and may be purchased without commissions with considerably lower costs as well.

I'm 58 and on Medicare in the USA . I have spoken to medicare 05/11/21 and stated if I visit Philippines can I use medicare . Which answer is NO. But if I had any type of procedures in Philippines. You would have to pay out of your pocket full amount. Then save medical bills receipts and turn it into Medicare and get full refund from Medicare for any procedures  . But don't say your moving to philippines. Just visiting family.

Also I stay in Philippines 4 months at a time and also to call anywhere in USA from Philippines.
Download APP Rebtel calling plan activate with your philippines phone number and put $5 or $10 load and will show you in your account free calls to the US . And the load minutes you receive won't eat the minutes calling USA

FYI

Regarding phone plan, it's extremely easy and cheap to buy a sim card from Globe or Smart and replace you US sim card. You'll have a phone number assigned to you. This means you will load your phone with in order to use it. Very easy to do. Keep your US sim card for when you return to US.

As to health insurance insurance, there is a company called GeoBlue for traveler insurance or long term stay abroad in case you want to go that route. Do not trust Health insurance in the Philippines.

Sandaval-Listen to yourself. You said the Medicare rep is asking you to break the law.He/she told you just to say you are visiting here,If you are living here and telling the US Gov that you are just living visiting here there may very well be consequences down the line. Plan on it.Better to be safe than sorry.If you can legally be reimbursed thru medicare after having medical procedures here in the Philippines thats a different story but thats questionable. Its my understanding Medicare will NOT pay medical bills outside of the USA, I have been living in Philippines 9 years ands saved a bundle by not paying the premiums and just cancelled it when I moved here,Actually I never subscribed to it for the ridiculous high price to have an insurance you cant use outside of the USA.Sound familiar? OBAMA care-Have to pay money not to have the insurance.......Insane!     :dumbom:     Jimmy(They do fully accept TRI-CARE after you get thru all the paperwork)

I'm not living there staying 3 to 4 months at a time . And its legal . Just call medicare yourself. Regarding reimbursement to confirm. And for the facts as I did. I'm helping community with info for those who just stay for few months at a time which is many just like me.

Bob604 wrote:

If you want to buy life insurance and can afford it, l.

Better be worth more alive than dead   :)     
There are some horror stories in Phils, old foreigners murdered ffor money by Filipino relatives BUT such cases are very incommon if any. I haven't heared of any except "wandering stories".  In a list of the murdered foreigners in a 10 year period could only a few possible be such. (But many of them got murdered by OTHER financial reasons huge part being loan sharks, and two I know were involved in land disputes.)
According to some American documentaries, when middle class Americans are murdered in USA then high life insurances seem to be involved rather often.

So I will sure never want a life insurance.
(Wife and kids will get some to manage anyway even if I would be out of money when I die, because my SSS will payout part for kids if they haven't reached 18yo when I die, and my start of new business is mainly for them to live of long time after I'm gone.)

San 127-i am sure you are right about medicare-I have never used it, Waste of time for me at a huge expense, Had Phil heath since 2012 until last year.Was paying about 50 dollars a year.Last year they raised it 50 % and then Dec 2020 when I went to renew it again they raised it to 18,000 pesos a year so I cancelled it. Poor coverage anyway but great inexpensive cost while I had it. Used it twice for 2 surgeries and they paid about 12%. Medical services here are cheap anyway with office visits 6-10usd.I just pay as I go(so far so good) and keep my fingers crossed I dont get any big medical problems. Had a stomach cat scan a few months ago 11 thous pesos 220usd  without insurance and probably be 10 times that in the states with insurance, All is good so far!JIMMY

capricornrising wrote:

PhilHealth . poor coverage anyway but great inexpensive cost while I had it. Used it twice for 2 surgeries and they paid about 12%.

Yes,  concerning many things, '
but some things PhiHealth pay much/full as e g dengue and tb.

Better to Guam if you have Medicare or VA two new hospitals just a few hours away