Help on transition from Dubai to Muscat

Hi,

My first post on this forum. I have been offered a Finance Manager job in Azaiba region with an all inclusive package of OMR 2400/- - I have a six month old kid and wife as dependents. Apart from the ongoing two years of experience in Dubai, I have six and a half years of experience in India. Even after going through some of the threads, I have the following specific queries on which I request your kind assistance:

1. Family status is not clearly mentioned in my offer letter - should I insist on having it written?
2. Should I resign from current job only after getting some type of labour or employment clearance?
3. Is Azaiba the right place for staying if we wish to be among Indian community? Which will be best alternative?
4. Is a medical cover of OMR 6000 per person (OMR 18000 for all three of us) sufficient in Muscat assuming we would only like to visit one of the top hospitals in Muscat.
5. Is it true that Muscat has better healthcare system and services than Dubai?

Regards
Nareysh

Replies in RED

nareysh wrote:

Hi,

My first post on this forum. I have been offered a Finance Manager job in Azaiba region with an all inclusive package of OMR 2400/- - I have a six month old kid and wife as dependents. Apart from the ongoing two years of experience in Dubai, I have six and a half years of experience in India. Even after going through some of the threads, I have the following specific queries on which I request your kind assistance:

1. Family status is not clearly mentioned in my offer letter - should I insist on having it written? Family status  include the medical insurance coverage for all your family members. If that;s mentioned in your offer, that automatically means that you are offered along with the family status. However, for a clarification, you may get your offer letter amended from your employer.

2. Should I resign from current job only after getting some type of labour or employment clearance? You should never resign from your current company till you get your new work visa in your hand. This is the most important thing which many people ignore and end up in disasters in the end sometimes.

3. Is Azaiba the right place for staying if we wish to be among Indian community? Which will be best alternative? Yes, Azaiba is the right place for staying and is considered as a good area with a gentle population of indians and other races.

4. Is a medical cover of OMR 6000 per person (OMR 18000 for all three of us) sufficient in Muscat assuming we would only like to visit one of the top hospitals in Muscat. Is this cover for a full year or on a monthly basis. I assume it should be for a year, based on the total amount. I will not say it as sufficient but seems satisfactory.

5. Is it true that Muscat has better healthcare system and services than Dubai? A big NO. Oman has one of the worst healthcare system as compared to other GCC. And by this, I don't mean that the other GCC health systems are best enough (If you know what i mean)

Regards
Nareysh

Are you sure about those figures? They seem to have an extra zero at the end. For that title I doubt you would get that salary. Anyways, maybe I'm not well informed.

Thanks a lot schaz for the detailed reply. It is really helpful to get such insights from on-the-ground residents as these insights not only assist in forming a well informed decision but also provide a soothing effect on some of the anxieties naturally associated with such transitions.

1. Yes, the family insurance is mentioned in my offer letter which implies I do get family visa status. Are there any other aspects that I need to cover in my offer letter in order to be safe (not in general terms as it covers the usual points)

2. This is such a precious piece of information to ensure that I dont fall in a no man's land. I will take this up with the firm. But I will not blame people who have fallen in this soup as no one can imagine such hassles before hand.

3. So, Azaiba it is! Life will be easier to have office and social circle in the same area. I am assuming I will get a 1BR unit for ~OMR 250. Do we get reliable part-time maids who can help in cooking and cleaning needs? What could be the monthly outflow for such a service?

4. Got your point - I will try to seek a higher cover closer to OMR 10000. If I do not find luck on this, is it possible to buy additional insurance and additional benefits by myself as part of the existing policy?

5. Healthcare is definitely a concern then specially since I have a precious 6 months old kid who has had her own set of issues already. The basis of my question was a report that I read about Muscat Private Hospital, Sultan Qaboos Hospital, Royal Hospital being among the best in class hospitals in the region. Just curious- is it possible to seek medical advice from Mumbai based doctors independently or thru some association with these regional hospitals?

@head: I will just say that I do feel better after reading your comment :)

I am assuming I will get a 1BR unit for ~OMR 250. Do we get reliable part-time maids who can help in cooking and cleaning needs? What could be the monthly outflow for such a service?

Yes, Typically a 1BR apartment (or a small portion in a villa) does cost approximately the same. Rent of an ordinaty 2BR apartment is approximately 350 to 400 in Azaiba, For the house maid, there are variations. 
For a note, make sure to be careful in hiring maids as there may be issued with the visas and other stuff. Generally, it is mandatory for a person hiring a maid that he should sponsor the maids visa via his company. So if your company agrees to provide you a maid's visa, that would be good in a legal aspect.

However, as they say, there are ways behind the doors where people allow their maids to work part time for other houses too (That you may need to work on if you opt that). Those housemaids on part time charge from OMR8 per hour in general. But again, this practice is not permitted as per the Omani law.

is it possible to buy additional insurance and additional benefits by myself as part of the existing policy?

Yes, it is possible.

The basis of my question was a report that I read about Muscat Private Hospital, Sultan Qaboos Hospital, Royal Hospital being among the best in class hospitals in the region.

These hospitals are considered the best among all the available ones in Muscat. But that doesn't guarantee the availability of best doctors. Royal hospital is a govt. hospital and doesn't take expat patients unless they are referred by any other hospital or there's a life risked emergency.

is it possible to seek medical advice from Mumbai based doctors independently or thru some association with these regional hospitals?

You certainly can take advise from Mumbai based hospital but with your own consent and your own expenses. However, the medicines are only provided based on the prescription of local doctors.

@head

Are you sure about those figures? They seem to have an extra zero at the end. For that title I doubt you would get that salary. Anyways, maybe I'm not well informed.

There are quite much finance managers in various firms at Oman with a basic salary of OMR 4000+ plus other perks as well. A package of OMR 2000 is considered to be a general package for a qualified person.

I must be living in a different world. :blink:

Thank you Schaz for the detailed follow-up answers!