What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Vanuatu?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Vanuatu? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Vanuatu? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

I would also love to know if anyone has more information, please. As far as I can tell there is a big push to hire local community members first before anyone else may be hired, which is totally understandable. Job creation and skills for local youth are very important, there seems to be a lot of unemployment especially where the youth are concerned.  Are there other opportunities, however? Is it better to start a business and empower Nivans? There is a local website where jobs are advertised. They don't mention remuneration/ wages/ salary at all, whereas where I come from it has to be listed as part of the advert. The languages required are English, Bislama, and French. I have done a lot of research but I still have so many questions too?

It would be really appreciated if anyone already living in Vanuatu could please share their experiences and some advice.

Many thanks, Taryn

Government are making changes, I would suggest a direct approach to find out the latest regulations.