Retiring in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Costa Rica? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Costa Rica (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Costa Rica's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Costa Rica?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Everyone,

Actually, I moved to Costa Rica in 1980 and was too young to retire at the time. I had to make a living so I founded a language school that I ran for several years.

I had a career change and began to write books about living and retiring here and in other countries in the area (Panama, Nicaragua, Colombia and Cuba). In 1988 I wrote and published  the first edition of "The New Golden Door to Retirement and Living in Costa Rica - the official guide to relocation". I just finished the eighteenth updated edition.

At present I publish a blog about living and retiring in Costa Rica. People who are interested may read it at: ***.  I also write another blog for those who want to learn Costa Rican-Spanish at *** It is full of useful tips about mastering the nuances of the local lingo.

I hope the above helps those who are interested in living here — the best country in the world in my opinion. I actually have a Canadian friend who lives here when he is not traveling.  At one time or another he has visited every country in the world (his hobby), and also considers Costa Rica to be the best place to live for expats.

¡Pura Vida¡ (national motto)

Christopher

Ex Patriot, How we Survive in Costa Rica. dr Meno's Tour of His Front x Patriot, How we Survive in Costa Rica. dr Meno's Tour of His Front[/url]

Why did you choose to retire in Costa Rica? What are the advantages compared with your home country?
I had traveled to a number of countries before retiring to Costa Rica eight years ago.  I did not know if I'd stay long term and thought I'd stay a year and see how it went.  I do like it here now and do consider this home.

The advantage for me over the States is first the peacefulness of the country as a whole and the warmness of Ticos (...when they are not in their cars).  NOT that I'm discussing politics of course, but I also cannot imagine living under the current U.S. goverment.  I feel that CR is a much, much truly free county by comparison.

My opinion is that the overall cost of living is higher here.  At the same time I could not afford my house with the view I have here.  An ocean view anywhere in the States would be double and my property taxes are much lower when you compare in this way.

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..
The main reason for my move here was the peacefulness, tranquility.  I have TBI and need quiet solitude each day.  Not something I felt that I could find in the U.S.  Even now when I go back I feel the intense rushing of life there.  Hard to explain the differences.  Just one of those things you'd have to experience.

What is Costa Rica's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?
The health care system  here is rated above that of the U.S.  (According to the W.H.O.)  But, what you have to compare is quality heath care of the private hospitals and those of CAJA.  It's the same as what you'd compare in the States when comparing the Mayo Clinic to a low income or welfare hospital.  You get what you pay for.

I have said it before and I have to say it again, I do not think that the most important part of retiring is to have a large retirement fund.  Yes, you do of course need to have a financial plan; however, I feel it's much more important to have a plan of what you will do with you life once you retire.

Yes, all of the usual plans for retirement such as golfing, sitting a reading, visiting the touristy places, etc. are great; but, those will only get you by for a year or two.  It's SO important to have more to do.  I have been shocked by the number of retirees I've personally seen come down and die a few short years later.

It's imperative that you find a physical and mental hobbies.  The construction of my house kept me busy, well, still keeps me busy and I taught myself to weld for my daughter's parrot rescue center.  For the foreseeable future, helping her build and maintain a new center will be my main focus.

I also do yoga and stretch, seriously stretch to stay flexible.  I was visiting another rescue center and a lady that was 10 years younger than me bent down to pick up a mango that was on the ground.  She actually struggled to come back up.  It really made me think about how important it is to stay flexible as we age.  I walk fast and on hills to stay in shape and try to eat less as I get older.

I just feel that it's important to have a goal of some kind to keep you focused.  I can think of four Gringos that live within a few kilometers of me that either sit in front of the TV or the computer - e v e r y   s i n g l e   d a y.  From what I've seen, they don't have long to live.  If that's how you choose to retire, that is of course your prerogative.  Just be aware of what it leads to.

Another thing to be aware of, comments by anyone that have nothing but praise for Costa Rica.  If they speak of nothing but rainbows and unicorns, most likely they are connected to the tourist industry, selling real estate or trying to sell books. 

Yes, I do think it's a wonderful place to live.  But, as with any country, there are many disadvantages as well.  Look into the things that you need in any country that you are considering for retirement.  When you discover something about a country that you do not like, ask yourself if you age going to be able to adjust to it.  If not, it may not be the country for you.

I have taken something positive from all countries that I have visited and those that I lived in.  I also cannot say that just one is “that much” better than another.  It just depends on what “you” are looking for.

- Expat Dave

Priscilla wrote:

Originally it was because I loved the nature and the people here, but later it was also because I realized I could afford to retire here and live much better than I could in the USA on Social Security."

Priscilla wrote:

The main consideration was having enough money to live, to build a house so we wouldn't have rent to pay, and to make the small amount of money we had saved to stretch enough to build our house and buy appliances and furniture, and a car.

Priscilla wrote:

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Costa Rica (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

First is Proof of Income. Either you have to have $1000 a month from something like social security to be a "pensionado" or if a "rentista" you have to have a boat load of money to deposit in a  Costa Rica bank.

And unless you have a lot of patience and love standing in a lot of lines and filling out forms and trying to find out where to go and what to do you have to pay an attorney quite a bit of money to help you. And then if you do it yourself you STILL have a lot of money to pay out, due to fees to the government.

As to formalities, basically there are apostilles you have to get in the USA re your birth certificate, marriage license, proof you're not a criminal, and so on, then once you gather all those you turn them into your attorney who handles them. While you CAN do all this yourself I wouldn't. Our attorney made it so much easier - we only had to go to San Jose twice and we got our residency within 8 months

Priscilla wrote:

I've had both good and bad experiences with doctors and dentists here.

I think doctors and dentists tend to be better in the San Jose area than smaller out-lying towns, and I know PRIVATE doctors and dentists are generally better than CAJA (government health care) doctors and dentists.

Again if you live in the big city or maybe if you get lucky your CAJA doctor/dentist MAY be fine, but for anything major I'd hope to be able to get a private doctor/dentist.

A friend of mine in San Jose (i.e. the Big City) had heart surgery, and prostate surgery via a government hospital/CAJA and he got really good care. In outlying areas I've heard some stories but don't really have any personal experience so I won't say...

Priscilla wrote:

Re retiring here I'll give the following tips:
1. Do your homework/ due diligence, rent here for as many months as you can before you buy anything or before you move here permanently
2. Learn Spanish
3. If you do buy property - only after the above due diligence - make sure to have a GOOD attorney check the title, check to make sure you have access to electricity, driveway, water and use of the land
4. Make sure you know you'll have enough money to live on - do a budget and figure out your income vs your expenses
5. Be prepared for the challenges of living in a country where things are done quite differently than in your home country.
     These would be challenges like dealing with government and business bureaucracy; dealing with how Ticos drive and park, and other things you may not like yet cannot change;  dealing with more extreme weather or insects or animals or etc you may not be used to in your home country/state; dealing with a lack of variety and options in products you may wish to buy, no amazon or etc delivery, only inferior Chinese or Colombian products available in many cases, a lack of customer service, and so on and so on.

None of the above are deal breakers for me and I would still prefer to live here, even if I COULD afford to live in the USofA. There are many advantages to living here like cheaper property, cheaper building materials and workers, more nature, a more relaxed way of life, a healthier lifestyle (if you want it!), nicer people and so on.

But there are also disadvantages and no matter how much you READ here or elsewhere the only way you can KNOW these advantages vs. disadvantages is to LIVE here a while before you move here.