New to Malta, Pregnant, and Confused

Hello everybody! 

My husband and I moved here in October for his work and were delighted to find out we were pregnant in December (after 3 years trying!).  I am finding that pregnancy care is much different than it is in the States, and therefore don't know when I'm suppose to be going to the doctor, etc. 

In the States, you have a full physical, blood work, and an ultrasound done at 12 weeks.  I'm currently 17 weeks and I've had 3 ultrasounds at St James Hospital, but no blood work or extensive check up. 

Can anyone help me understand what the regular appointment schedule would be here in Malta?  I have an appointment scheduled Tuesday at Mater Dei (my first), but have heard that they won't do an ultrasound and blood work until 20 weeks.  I'm wondering if it makes sense to go (and wait :P) now if I will have to come back in 2 1/2 weeks. 

I'm a little bit of a nervous nelly, so I'd really like to have the baby and myself looked at more in depth for piece of mind and to make sure everything is going smoothly.  I also am very excited to find out if it's a boy or girl, so I'd like to find that out as soon as possible too. 

We are fine paying for some - most of the pregnancy care, but would like to give birth at Mater Dei since there is a chance I would have to have it there anyway.

I would also welcome any and all information regarding public vs private care and/or a combination of the two.   

Thank you so much in advance for any help any of you can give me!!!

senti: we use a private clinic too, we go monhtly and around 12 we asked for some tests and around 20 they did the big one.  They don't do down syndrome tests here as a norm - we had to send blood to UK (they did it for us).

It's generally very easy, ask at St James they will explain the process.  Probably a bit early for you to meet midwifes but the one at St James is lovely.

We'll hopefully have the birth at St James.  One visit to Mater Dei was enough thanks

Good luck, we're 26 weeks also still learning!

Hello and congratulations!
Here is my experience, hopefully it will help: I gave birth in MDH, was nice experience - my midwife was really great. Few months prior to due date you can go to Parent course - it is very educational.
What I did not like is the misuse of time at MDH; you wait forever till your turn at regular appointments. Doctors were all fine.
As in Malta abortion is prohibited, there are a lot of consequences - the one you mentioned: they will not check in detail, nor tell you if something is wrong, until is too late to abort. That's crazy, specially because you can help fetus in many cases. I went abroad and did a full check (the best is at 12 weeks, and then at 20 weeks). Most probably everything is ok with your baby, and somehow you probably even know this :) Still, after I checked all in detail abroad - the feeling was fantastic, like a big burden fell, from then onwards I was simply enjoying my pregnancy. If you will do the same, keep in mind that most of the countries in Europe have similar care like USA, but not all (Poland, Portugal and Malta; if I am not mistaken).
Good luck with your pregnancy and birth!