In retrospect, would you move again to Hong Kong?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Hong Kong, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Hong Kong so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

I lived in Hong Kong in the 80's and 90's. I actually moved there as I was offered a job as a Sales Manager for a shipping company, and they offered me the job because I had learned to speak and read/write Mandarin. The first place I lived was in a small rented apartment in Heng Fa Chuen on Hong Kong Island.

I quit that job because I found another one in a Heavy Engineering company as a Marketing Manager and later as Commercial Manager. That company was a joint venture between the China National Import & Export Corporation (CNTIEC) and a Hong Kong public listed company. As my salary began to climb I bought my first apartment in Discovery Bay on Lantau Island.

Two years later I quit that job and set up my first company. I rented an office near to the Landmark in the Central District on Hong Kong Island, and ran a highly successful export business for many years. I also bought another bigger apartment in Discovery Bay.

In those days my haunts were Hollywood Road and Cat Street Market where I would search for antiques and old Persian or Afghan carpets, and Lan Kwai Fong where I'd often take lunch or go for a drink in the evening.

Before Hong Kong was handed over by the UK to China, I moved to Paris, rented a warehouse and office at Porte de la Chapelle, and started an import/wholesale and retail business in France. However, in those days I often regretted leaving Hong Kong, and I still consider it one of the greatest places for making money and living an exciting lifestyle.

So, as to whether I would do things differently, absolutely not! Hong Kong is the place that I was able to start my first business, make a fortune and buy a couple of apartments. It is also a really wonderful and exciting place to live and work, to shop and eat, it is fast paced, yet great for exploring or relaxing on a junk with friends, taking the high speed ferry to Macau for a seafood lunch, or hiking on some of the islands at the weekend. And living in Discovery Bay meant that we had a clubhouse with swimming pool, tennis courts, a restaurant and of course the beach where I could windsurf every weekend.