Length of stay

For tourists, I´ve heard the individual immigration officer will determine the length of stay, and it can be one to ninety days. Does anyone know how typically the full ninety day visit is granted?

Yes, it is strictly up to the officer.  We have received 90 days every time except once when we were asked "how long are you here for" and we honestly replied two weeks and we were given 15 days.  I'd say that most of the time you will get the 90 days but there is the possibility that you will catch an officer on a bad day and then ............
One family of four posted about six months ago that they came in together, all went through the same officer and they got four different lengths or stay (the shortest being two weeks).

Thanks.

I just did a same-day tour to Granada and had no problem getting another 90 days at the border.

My first 90 days is coming this week. Do you have to make your border run prior to the 90 days do you have some leeway within your anniversary date? I have seen many people ask about where do you get your 90 days stamp. I am renting a home for long term and would it be advisable to bring my lease along with me? I am also not sure where would be the best place for me to go. I have read many say that Nicaragua would be better than going to Panama. I would appreciate any advice that anyone has to give. Also, is there anyone else needing to make the run this week?
Thank you for any advice,
Mike

We saw a person get REALLY hassled at the border.  We understood enough Spanish to know he was expired but do not know how expired he was.  He was a Nicaraguan.  We have had good luck with Los Chiles and now Las Tabillas crossings in Nicaragua.  The last two trips through Las Tabillas we were asked to stay two hours the first time and three hours the second time.  We just took a taxi into San Carlos and had lunch.  Have never been asked for proof of onward travel.

I was not asked for proof of onward travel, but had an itinerary for a trip out of Costa Rica printed just in case and made it look like an emailed ticket by cutting and pasting. I figured if they questioned it I'd say we bought it online but never got confirmation so we're not sure.

We did show our comprobantes coming back into Costa Rica but the officers never even looked at them. One did ask if we were living in Costa Rica and we said we were applying for residency. And that was that. We got 90 day renewals and I have never ever gotten less in my 25 years of traveling here. But I hear it does happen. I heard you can go to an immigration office in San Jose and ask for an extension. But know nothing about that.