Dentist - covered by insurance? I still don't get it.

hello!
I still don't get the health system in Malta regarding dental treatments.
I'm Austrian, living and working in Malta (almost 2 years) and I have a Maltese ID /residence car (the one with A for alien at the end of the number) as well as a European Health Insurance card. I have been to the hospital and didn't have to pay anything for the treatment.
But how is it in regard to dental treatments?
My girlfriend had to pay.
I have a hole in my tooth that needs to be fixed (or pulled) and I might need to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I have a long history of problems with my teeth.
I don't wanna pay thousands of Euro for that.

Can anyone give me advise?

I don't know what the EHIC card has to do with your teeth as you have been living and working in Malta for two years.

You will have to pay for your dental treatment as it is not covered by the Maltese health system.

Cheers
Ricky

Dental treatment on Malta is usually good and not expensive. Your EHIC is invalid. Just go into a dentist and ask 'how much?' And then pay, as mostly everyone else does. (Some exemptions, obviously, emergency etc.)

ehics are only valid for tourist stays of upto 3months and for emergency care only - although they can be valid for longer stays (upto one year)  - but are immediately invalidated once you are resident - sadly many people are continuing to use them for hospital treatment illegally..... so as far as i am concerned the more the hospitals start to check people for paying taxes and SSC / NI in EU Member states the better.

did you pay for dental treatment in Austria?

wow, now I'm confused, I was also under assumption that since I'm paying NI i'm in title to free dental service, as well as my kids

so every dental treatment in public clinics or hospital is charged?
And for kids?

and toon, I for exp (and my wife and my kids) had free dental treatments in croatia, only things I ever payed were white filings, instead of free metal ones

Everyone (as in who is normally entitled to health care ie, paying stamps, permanent residents.) are entitled to free check up's, scale and polishes and extractions at the hospital. The hospital is the only place this is available in. There are no clinics left in the government poly clinics.
Children are entitled to the above plus fillings and orthodontic work.
People who have a 'pink card' (low income) are entitled to all necessary treatments at the hospital for free.
All the other dental clinics you see around are private clinics on a 'pay as you go' basis.