Smaller cities in oman to live in

Hi Friends,

A lot of questions in mind.

1.  How r the smaller cities in Oman to live in, most probably I may get posted through MOH in such cities.
2.  Are they safe enough for expats & are they equally liberal as Muscat & other big cities?
3.  How r the hospitals, schools, & other services which one may need?
4.  What r the other good cities to live in other than Muscat?

Regards to all

I guess it depends what you mean by "smaller cities".  I live in Ibri and except for the sea, there is nothing really that Muscat offers that makes me desperate to visit the bigger city regularly.

Smaller than Nizwa, Ibri has a very good hospital; sufficient supermarkets (Al Kawther is nearing completion and there is talk of a Lulus being built); and all the banks that you would need.

As a whitey expat I go anywhere and I am safe.  The town may not be as liberal as Muscat but then that suits me just fine.  The town folk are friendly and Omanis many years older than me often greet me first and strike up a conversation first.  Initially when I did not have a vehicle, Omanis would spot me a mile off and offer a ride, insisting to return me as well.

Sure, an outpost like this does not have the allure Muscat, Nizwa and Salalah will have, but life here is what you make of it.  You could end up being bored in Muscat too.  Ibri is a lot cheaper than Muscat and that has been to my advantage.

I could have done a lot worse.  Would like to hear what others have to say about places like Ibra, Buraimi and so on.

Hello Andrieso,

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely meet you if come to Ibri.
     I am coming with my family so its safe for women too? Do u have any idea about schools there?

Regards

Hello Andrieso

Please can you mail me whenever you can any employment agencies in Ibri, my mail address is [email protected].

Thank You Kindly.

do not worry my friend. Oman is well-developed and all the cities are having all the facilities that each one needs.

in fact, these cities are not very expensive to stay in .... not like Muscat