New American living in Kenya

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kathleen and I just moved to Meru Kenya for 3 years. I will be working for the diocese of Meru.  I am so she'll shocked right now.  I have never been to Africa before and I am feeling so alone and I really would love to talk with others that have been through this experience.  I am exhausted and feel like going home but I made this commitment and would like to stick it out.  I have been told it gets better.  Please tell me how you have done with the transition. Thank you so much!

Hey Kathleen *hugs* No need to feel alone. Ofcourse for everyone the first time in a foreign country alone can be a bit of a culture shock but you soon get used to it. Go out, Meet people, have a look around, try and understand the culture and a few words from the people around...dont lock yourself up because it might only get worse...attend a few events and travel around a bit. You'll be okay , we are all here for company, barbecues, dinners :-) *hug hug*

Dear Kathleen,

Do not despair.

What do you do over the weekends? Meru is only 3-4 hrs away from Nairobi and there are so many things you can do in the nearby towns. The Meru national park for example would be a good start.

There is an expat who runs the Ikweta Country Inn ikweta.com/about-us, she is bound to know more about the area and the activities that take place there. Its always good to meet with people who have been there and done that!!

You are also welcome to Nairobi and I can introduce you to other expats who have lived and travelled around Kenya in even more remote areas, as well as, to other Kenyans who would be more than happy to show you around. 

The offer is there.
Feel free to message me when you are ever in Nairobi.

You are not alone, you are already reaching out, so you will find others like you and before you know it, you will be so used to Kenya that you may not want to leave. Most of my expat friends do not want to go back and those who leave always find an excuse to come back.

Kathmath wrote:

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Kathleen and I just moved to Meru Kenya for 3 years. I will be working for the diocese of Meru.  I am so she'll shocked right now.  I have never been to Africa before and I am feeling so alone and I really would love to talk with others that have been through this experience.  I am exhausted and feel like going home but I made this commitment and would like to stick it out.  I have been told it gets better.  Please tell me how you have done with the transition. Thank you so much!

hi dont feel lonely. you will soon get used to it,. u are probably just a little homesick which will pass once u get absorbed into your work. feel free to get in chat when u need to talk to someone. will love to be your pal. cheers.