Moving to Nicaragua

Hi, My name is Sarah.

My husband and I are considering moving to Nicaragua, We need all the info that we can get  IE:

- What is the legal process that is required to live in Nicaragua?
- We have dogs, what is the legal process to move them with us?
- My husband is retired Military, he's now pensioned off, what is the monthly monetary requirement?
- If one doesn't have pension status, can one own a business and stay in the Country?
- Is the process difficult to move to Nicaragua? We understand that it could take some time to get the process completed.
- Any and all info would be very much appreciated.

Thank You so much.

Sarah from Canada

Hi Sarah!

Have gone through the different posts of the forum to see whether there are discussions which match your need?

This may be helpful.

Hope that other members will advise you too,
Harmonie.

Hello Sarah:

Regarding your questions:

What is the legal process that is required to live in Nicaragua?
- My husband is retired Military, he's now pensioned off, what is the monthly monetary requirement?

The law 694 gives you and your husband the possibility to retire in Nicaragua get a permanent residency - 5 years - and get tax exemptions. He must have a pension over $ 750 and both will qualify. You can bring your household goods and a vehicle tax free - if the cost is less than $ 25,000.00 for the vehicle.

Both must submit an application, bring with you several documents, once you submit it will take around 3 months during that time you will be legal in Nicaragua, On the other hand you can start the process from your country sending a power of attorney to somebody to take care of this procedure.

Be aware no there is Nicaraguan Consulate in Canada, so you must legalized your documents in Canada and then in the Nicaraguan Consulate in USA, depending where you live you can do it in San Francisco or Washington

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer R.
Attorney at law
[email protected]

Thank You Mr Paul Tiffer for your response.
Just a couple more questions that I would need answered.
-What is the process on bringing animals to Nicaragua?
-Can a person acquire residential status by owning a business?

Again, thank you very much for your answers.

Sarah Stewart

Attorney Tiffer. Tried to email you to the email address you quoted and it won't go through. Would like to hire you for my residency purposes!

Paul Tiffer wrote:

Hello Sarah:

Regarding your questions:

What is the legal process that is required to live in Nicaragua?

The law 694 gives you and your husband the possibility to retire in Nicaragua get a permanent residency - 5 years - and get tax exemptions. He must have a pension over $ 750 and both will qualify. You can bring your household goods and a vehicle tax free - if the cost is less than $ 25,000.00 for the vehicle.

Both must submit an application, bring with you several documents, once you submit it will take around 3 months during that time you will be legal in Nicaragua, On the other hand you can start the process from your country sending a power of attorney to somebody to take care of this procedure.

Be aware no there is Nicaraguan Consulate in Canada, so you must legalized your documents in Canada and then in the Nicaraguan Consulate in USA, depending where you live you can do it in San Francisco or Washington

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer R.
Attorney at law
[email protected]

Hello Sarah:

A client of mine send me this email one moths regarding this topic, he already broght from USA three dogs:

To bring an animal from the US we needed the original Rabies vaccination certificate, health certificate from a licensed veterinarian, also if you want to make it very official you might want to get a USDA veterinary services form  (department of agriculture) you do not need the USDA form for Nicaragua but we got it because we were traveling through many countries and this document looked very official

I hope It will be useful for you

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer

Hello,

It was my mistake, I added an "n" by mistake, now you have the correct email:

[email protected]

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer

Hello Sarah,

I wrote in this website the whole procedure, you can check:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=88453

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer

Sarah,
One of the best ways to get the information is to log on the internet and check the laws for retired people wanting to live in Nicaragua. Make sure you have an uptodate version.
We are American and it is really not that hard to move here and become a resident. If you are going to live here, it is very beneficial to become a resident. We also brought two dogs with us and the laws for Canada may be different but the requirement for Nicaragua will be the same.
Canada does not have a Nicaragua Embassy or did not the last time we checked. You will need :
1. Offical copy or original birth certificate (both)
2. Official copy or original of your marriage certificate
3. A health certificate from your doctor stating your current health status ( both)
4. A financial statement from your banker stating your financial status and also proof of any retirement income you have and the amount. For a husband and wife, you need at least $ 750 per month plus $ 100 per child.
5. You will need an current police check from your local community.(both)
All of the above needs to be notarized. You will then need authenication that the Notary is Legal. We got ours from the Sec. of State but will probably be different in Canada
This will then need to be present to the Nicaragua Consulate or embassy to be authenicated. If you are bringing dogs and vehicles, insure that all the paperwork on them are also authenicated (ie: shot record, vet check and health papers)
I would get all of this done just before making the move because you do not want any time lapse before you present the papers here. You have 6 month before the papers expire but if it is several months before you get here after all your paperwork is dated could be problems.
If you do not speak spanish, you would be best served getting a lawyer here. There is a guy here named Paul Tiffer that everyone says is good. DO NOT GO TO ANY LAWYER THAT IS A FRIEND OF A FRIEND AND IS CHEAPER. It will cost you in the long run. Lawyers here are bigger thieves than up north. Make your arrangement for payment and stick to it. I think this Tiffer guy will handle the whole deal. Once you present everything to your lawyer and he gets it started, it does not take long. The benefits to having a resident card are tremendous.
Hope I have help[ed some and have a nice day
Gene and Pat

Thank You for that info..it's been a great help.

Sarah and Roger from Canada.

Gene and Pat, thanks for your comments even you didnŽt work with me Yet.

Sara and Roger, I would like to explain the post above:

1. The new law from 2009 says you must prove:

- $ 600 for the applicant if itŽs a pension i.e.: Social Security
- $ 750 for the applicant it itŽs a revenue or you are going to apply as rentier.
- $ 150 for any dependant - adult or child itŽs the same amount of money-.

2. If you are married the Marriage License will be mandatory, especially if one of you will be dependant of the other. Is not mandatory to apply together if both have separates pension or incomes that will means 2 different tax exemptions for vehicles and container - household goods - be aware vehicles can be imported from abroad or buy it locally tax free for the first $ 25,000 CIF. - Price base before Nicaraguan taxes.-

3. On the other hand: Notarization and legalization must be in Canada, and authentication in a Nicaraguan Consulate in USA.

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer
[email protected]

Thank You Paul for all the info that you have been sharing...it does help us very much.

Roger and Sarah from Canada.

Mr Tiffer;

What is the age that a child is still considered a dependant?, For  residency purposes.

Thank You.
Sarah from Canada.

Under 21 years old