Retiring in Nicaragua

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Nicaragua? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Nicaragua (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Nicaragua's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Nicaragua?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

One thing I find that is missing when considering retiring in Nicaragua is people.  How many of us are lured to the adverts by beautiful beach side homes with miles of beach and no one in sight.  I have two lots like this and now I realized that what I really want when I retire is to be around friendly people.  To do this I have bought a condo in San Juan del Sur at Km 138 called Las Escadas.  Here I will be able to go into town for lunch or dinner and at the same time just sit around the pool and chat with who ever wants to stop by.  I stayed in a beach house and the solitude was ok at first but after a while I wanted to be around people.  This works for me because I can walk away and rent my place on airbnb or just stay around. 

One more thing is retiring to Nicaragua means getting away from all the crap on the news.  I try not to discuss politics and talk positive with people.  In our little complex (which is still growing) we have people from Norway and Portugal as well as snow birds from Canada and the US.  And if you think about it San Juan del Sur is only 20 miles from a blue zone, where the people have a long life span.  It must be there stress free life.

Stop by for one of my cold brew iced coffee.

Terry