Best suburb to live in Rio De Janeiro

Hi everyone. We are moving to Rio and we would like your input finding the best area. Somewhere as safe as possible, close to the beach, coffee shops, restaurants, nightlife and things to do in general. Areas in the proximity of city center offering the vibe but it might be tiring or not suitable raising kids later on.

@Petros Andriotis

Good morning Petros,

Areas to live in are best done by going to visit and explore. Everyone's opinion is different.

Is your spouse Brazilian?

09/23/22 @Petros Andriotis. Urban development in Brazil has proceeded in a different way from the way it has in the major English-speaking countries.  Suburbs tend to be poor and working class areas, so asking the headline question to a Brazilian real estate agent is likely to cause initial confusion, followed by being shown a lot of places where you probably don't want to live.  Better to describe the type of property, lifestyle, and amenities you're looking for, and let the geography find you:  you'll probably end up in a "bairro nobre" within the municipality of Rio de Janeiro.

I suspect that your search will end up focusing on the Zona Sul or Zona Oeste of the city, but Texanbrazil is right:  you'll really need to do some onsite exploring.

Hi:

we live in Copacabana, it's close to the beach and very convenient. I'd suggest you find a quiet street but near the commerce, not in the middle of it. Not that close to downtown- depending on the time of day it takes about 25 to 40 minutes. Depending on your budget, other options would be Ipanema or Leblon.

These neighborhoods are all within the city of Rio, more expensive.

Probably the most well known area outside the city would be Barra da Tijuca. I've not been there for a variety of reasons, one being that we do not have nor want a car. There you'd need one.

Hope this helps.

I recently lived in Rio for 1 year. I would not suggest it to anyone unless they MUST AND NEED TO LIVE in Rio.  Nowhere is safe in Rio, even in zona sul. There are some less dangerous neighorhoods, some moderately dangerous and some very dangerous neighborhoods. You'll always be looking out behind your back.

If you can choose, I'll suggest South of Brazil. Before moving to Rio, I used to live in Santa Catarina state (Florianopolis to be specific) and felt pretty safe, and were able to lead a normal life there without constantly looking behind our backs for imminent danger.

@Texanbrazil yes. My wife is Brazilian

-@Petros Andriotis

She may be the best source to help you. As many have said Rio is huge and divided.

It has been years since I would travel every 3 months to our office in Rio. I found it, well let's say an adventure.

I was picturing beautiful beaches, which they are, but all sewage spoils the water and a lot of dumping of waste is unappealing. Even the water games in the World Cup had to be adjusted due to pollution of the waters,

That said, your wife can help or reach out to friends. It is expensive in Rio. Your monthly budget will be a factor as to areas to reside,

The NE areas or Brazil have nice beaches.

I don't think it's fair to say all of Rio is dangerous nor do I agree with needing a car to live in Barra. My wife's family all lives in Barra so I've spent a lot of time both there and Zona Sul.  The new(ish) metro system from Barra to Zona Sul is fantastic and and Uber is always reasonably priced. The main issue I have is the traffic going to/from Barra but again, the metro provides a nice quick alternative to spending 2+ hours in the car at peak times. Barra is pretty much where (Brazilians) move when they get money and are sick of Zona Sul. Lots of bars/nightlife around Jardim Oceanico area and probably your most viable option for a place in RJ to start a family. Depending on what you're used to, it's also feels much less threatening walking around at night than much of Zona Sul.

I won't say that I prefer one over the other because like others have said, it will vary largely on your personal preferences/experiencing the city on your own. "Safe" areas you can look into are anywhere around Lagoa (Ipanema/Leblon/Jardim Botanico), Laranjeiras, where I personally lived and loved living aside from our terrible neighbors. Copacabana is also great but definitely feels sketchy walking around at night if you're unfamiliar with the neighborhood.

Hi, as a person who is very concern about the safety, I will without doubt recommend the jardim oceanico area in Barra da Tijuca. For various reason that I won't mention here, is the safest place I have stayed in Rio. The downside is that it is an expensive.

The shore line is expensive, and you are riding with a target on your back

Places like Santa Teresa, Gloria, Jardim Botanico, Urca ( that's on the shoreline and anti touristy ) , Laranjeiras, Downtown ( it's slowly coming around for the breave urban adventurer ).

@stevewaugh786 A very cool/cold climate in SC. LOL. SC is colder than Sao Paulo in my opinion. One should look at the yearly and average daily temps before deciding on SC. If you prefer cool and slightly mild climate then it's perfect for you. I have a few friends that couldn't take Florianopolis after moving from Teresina or Maranhao. It was simply too cold for them or what they were accustomed to. They returned to the northeast.

@Petros Andriotis I agree with TexanBrazil. I would use Airbnb services first. Then decide for yourself.  The term "Safe" has different meanings to many people.

He/She asked about Rio, so despite my preferences, Rio it is .... 

Santa Teresa.  Every Carioca raves it as the consummate quaint neighborhood.

Lapa. ( bohemiam , close to old downtown.  exquisite curbside appeal.

Botafogo. |it's posh. A lot of financial business are located there

Downtown ( Centro ) - it's coming along. still, a place for Urban Adventurers. There were some serious money being poured there for commercial redevelopment.  A number of office buildings might be ripe for repurposing.

Urca ( with some luck, that is an exclusive enclave, no tourists around). I've been told there's a private beach around, which is the exclusive domain of military personnel, so access is only granted with pass. You will need some pull there.  So no tourists there.  No tourists = safer. 

Jardim Botânico - It's between Leblon ( shoreline ), and the way towards Christ the Redeemer. The Botanic Gardens, this going back to my teenager days when I| visited Rio, actually soothes the Summer Dog Days of Heat . It feels cooler in the Botanic Garden vicinity than the rest of Rio.

Laranjeiras.   Not much I can say. 

Breaking down on places you don't need a car...

Downtown

Bairro Imperial de São Cristóvão • Benfica • Caju • Catumbi • Centro • Cidade Nova • Estácio • Gamboa • Lapa • Mangueira • Paquetá • Rio Comprido • Santa Teresa • Santo Cristo • Saúde • Vasco da Gama

Favorites : Paqueta, Lapa, Centro, Santa Teresa

South (old posh )

Botafogo • Catete • Copacabana • Cosme Velho • Flamengo • Gávea • Glória • Humaitá • Ipanema • Jardim Botânico • Lagoa • Laranjeiras • Leblon • Leme • São Conrado • Urca

Favorites: Botafogo ( it's posh ), Gávea,Glória,  Jardim Botânico ( it's past Leblon by the way towards the Christ Redeemer Status ),Laranjeiras. Copacabana and Ipanema are by the coastline, so only apartments.

West ( Working Class )

Bangu • Campo dos Afonsos • Deodoro • Gericinó • Jabour • Magalhães Bastos • Padre Miguel • Realengo • Santíssimo • Senador Camará • Vila Kennedy • Vila Militar   

Favorites : Up to Realengo fine.

Tijuca

Alto da Boa Vista • Andaraí • Grajaú • Maracanã • Praça da Bandeira • Tijuca • Vila Isabel

The Whole Tijuca is decent.

North Side

Bonsucesso • Bancários • Cacuia • Cidade Universitária • Cocotá • Freguesia • Galeão • Jardim Carioca • Jardim Guanabara • Moneró • Olaria • Pitangueiras • Portuguesa • Praia da Bandeira • Ramos • Ribeira • Tauá • Zumbi

Bonsucesso, Olaria,  Madureira • Marechal Hermes

-@Petros Andriotis
She may be the best source to help you. As many have said Rio is huge and divided.
It has been years since I would travel every 3 months to our office in Rio. I found it, well let's say an adventure.
I was picturing beautiful beaches, which they are, but all sewage spoils the water and a lot of dumping of waste is unappealing. Even the water games in the World Cup had to be adjusted due to pollution of the waters,
That said, your wife can help or reach out to friends. It is expensive in Rio. Your monthly budget will be a factor as to areas to reside,
The NE areas or Brazil have nice beaches.
-@Texanbrazil

You speak the truth.