Live-in Caretaker - Rural Portugal

We are hiring!

Come experience rural Portugal.

We are currently hiring for one person (or a couple) for the position of Live-In / Caretaker.

What does this imply, you ask?
There are 3 main responsibilities:

1) (and the most important one) - Dog (and cat) care - We have 6 dogs with lots of energy and demanding lots of attention and love. This is the main responsibility - caring for them, sitting when we are not at home (or when we are working from home), checking if they have water, food, ticks, if they lost their collars, if they are all accounted for at night, and a lot more. This might sound like "Oh, I love dogs, I will love this job!", but this is a high responsibility-high maintenance task. They are our family.

2) House care - this means cleaning. And more cleaning. With six dogs and one cat, we have lots of hair and sand everywhere. We need daily cleaning. Also, we need you to tell us what is missing in the pantry, we need ironing, and washing clothes, and making beds, and making food.

3) Farm tasks - we don't have a farm exactly, but we do have some trees, lots of plants, a pool, and some land. All of this needs care: cleaning leafs, gathering wood, composting, cleaning the pool, picking up dog poo, and general tidying around.

What do you get?
First and foremost, you get a salary. But as we are searching for a live-in person, you also get lodging (private room and bathroom), and all bills paid (water, electricity and internet).Also, you get to live on a beautiful farm, with a great pool, a nice fireplace in front of a big sofa.Often, we have meals together, and enjoy the cultural exchange with our workers and volunteers. We have become friends with many of them.

Hours
We are not very rigid about this, especially because the task of dog-care, as sometimes we need help out of the "normal" hours for work.We request usually 7 daily hours, but there is no need to start at 8AM, or to finish at 5PM. This can be negotiated and adjusted, as well as the days off. Also, some of the tasks cannot be done if, for example, it is raining too much, or if it is too hot (temperatures can reach 42 degrees Celsius).

Why are we hiring?
We have two amazing ladies, who started off as volunteers (we have a volunteering program), and then were hired as Care-Takers, as they did such an excellent job with our 4-legged family. But they are from Chile, and they have returned home in April, after being with us for two years. So we need someone to fill their shoes - and this is a very high ask!

Who are we looking for?
To begin with, if you are not excited about the prospect of sleeping with some dogs in your bed, this is not the job for you.You need to be proactive. This means you need to tell us what needs doing, not the other way around. You enjoy and are able to work under minimal supervision. You have to enjoy a rural setting, and be comfortable with all types of animals. We don't kill spiders, and we rejoice with the life growing around us.You are hands-on, enjoy physical work, but also enjoy some quiet time reading a book by the fire. You must have some cooking skills, and be willing to learn. But above all, you love animals, especially dogs and cats. You enjoy their presence, you recognize their intelligence, and how much we can learn from them.

You need to speak either english, portuguese or spanish. We can communicate in any of these three languages.

Availability
We need someone to start  in June (first few days) for a period of training.Minimum stay is 9 months.
If this interests you please reach out to us

I'm interested in this job and I will be available for training

Please send us your application via email  to laura.lx@gmail.com, with your CV and a motivation letter or video.
Thanks

My name is Athena Walcott. I am a Zimbabwean. I was so excited when my dear Belgian friend told me about this job & sent me the link. Everything you wrote in your e mail resonated completely with me.  I have been a passionate animal lover all of my life. I am vegetarian & do not use products tested on animals because of my feelings for them. I do not kill any creatures & believe in the sanctity of all life.  In my time in Zimbabwe I have rescued many many cats & dogs & currently have 9 rescued dogs & 10 rescued cats .. all beloved & greatly missed as i now work in the UK most of the year to provide for them, whilst my youngest son takes care of them in my place. I have also had a rescued vervet monkey which was rehabilitated back to the wild for his best interests ( but to my great distress as we were so close) & have for many years had 20 cats & between 7 & 10 dogs. All of my life I have not had the opportunity to work with animals which is my true passion because it hasn't been financially viable for me bringing up 4 children & my pets. I have been a French & PE teacher for 20 years & am now a live in carer but I am sad that I haven't followed my dream of being with animals & working with them & i don't want it to one day be too late. I am a great nature lover .. I love all species & all animals,  not just my own. Even though I am 60 I am an energetic, fit, healthy, organised &  hard working outdoor type of person. I walk/ run & do exercises & yoga daily.  It would be a dream come true & an answer to my prayers for me to get this job. I also have a  son who is 25,  who would  be great for this job. I have many people who could vouch for my character, my love of animals & my ability to do this job. I have a British passport & a Cypriot passport, but the latter would need to be renewed.   I would love to hear back from you.

I hope that you get the job, Athena!
Best of Luck to You!

Cheryl & Andreas

Thank you so much Cheryl. How kind

And thank you to you too Andreas ( my late fathers name )

Greetings from the Emerald Isle,
From William -best know as Liam among his Irish friends & tribesmen.

While I do not meet all of your criteria & specifications in regard to the task
at hand I can address other issues that are fundamental to the quality of your
family life & the lived experience.

I am a highly qualified medical doctor who is still in active clinical practice & academic teaching.
Apart from my life-long love of animals, (esp. the canine variety), I have a profound love, respect,
and interest in nature, humanity,philosophy, arts & science. Those are the core assets which I have to
offer & would wish to share with you, your family,friends,& co-workers within the frenetic regimens of your daily lives.
Yes, I am asking you to "think outside the box" as it applies to the quality of the lived experience!

If any of this gives you reason to reconsider your needs and priorities please revert to me and
I will forward my C.V. & further details upon request.

Best Regards,
Anam Cara,
Liam.

Hello everyone,

@ lsm78: Since this is not the correct section for job offers, I would kindly advise you to post a free advert for this position here -------->> Jobs in Portugal.

I am now closing this thread.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Closed